Secret "Star Wars" Star Dies.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Movie sword-fight master Bob Anderson dies at 89 - Yahoo! Movies

Anderson...donned Darth Vader's black helmet and fought light saber battles in two of the three original Star Wars films, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Few knew of Anderson's role until Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, said in a 1983 interview that "Bob Anderson was the man who actually did Vader's fighting."

"It was always supposed to be a secret, but I finally told (director) George (Lucas) I didn't think it was fair any more," Hamill told Starlog magazine. "Bob worked so bloody hard that he deserves some recognition. It's ridiculous to preserve the myth that it's all done by one man."

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
I'm one of the few that actually felt the sword fighting was more accurately portrayed in the first trilogy then the wham-bam-faster than light leave myself completely open for a head swipe body stab style of the Prequels (at least #1-2, #3 except for some blatantly obvious parts, doesn't seem as bad). There were some portions in the older trilogy that were also pretty bad (luke twirls around with his back towards Vader for a stronger strike...perfect time for Luke to get a blade in the back), but overall liked the first trilogies usage.

It also had some sense at times (such as, why use a blade if you can just pummel the kid with the force), though they used similar common sense with Maul (use the force to open a door, etc.).

Each style has it's fans though. Enjoyed the style that he brought to Empire and Return though.

This is going to sound weird...but in our AD&D campaign (about 15 years ago now) my immortal character once travelled to Earth and actually kidnapped Bob Anderson (yes the same one) to bring back to our planet and teach people how to swordfight. I think the DM had him down as a 17th-level Fighter.

RIP Bob and thanks for all the great action scenes you coached and took part in. These will make you immortal.

...and thanks for teaching the Thrinian Knights how to be better swordfighters. ;)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
"It was always supposed to be a secret, but I finally told (director) George (Lucas) I didn't think it was fair any more," Hamill told Starlog magazine. "Bob worked so bloody hard that he deserves some recognition. It's ridiculous to preserve the myth that it's all done by one man."
Were we supposed to believe that the shorter, rotund James Earl Jones was in the costume?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Were we supposed to believe that the shorter, rotund James Earl Jones was in the costume?
At the time, I didn't even know who James Earl Jones was. That guy in the black armor and cape was Darth Vader. I didn't associate any actor, voice, or stunt double with him.

Bullgrit

Joker

First Post
At the time, I didn't even know who James Earl Jones was. That guy in the black armor and cape was Darth Vader. I didn't associate any actor, voice, or stunt double with him.

Bullgrit

If it was James Earl Jones, you would have known:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_H6YB4Yhks]James earl jones audition - YouTube[/ame]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases