Pathfinder 1E Amethyst - Renaissance (Pathfinder) UPDATE

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
288291_412541615448403_611669687_o.jpg

10 playable races (chaparran, damaskan, gimfen, human, kodiak, laudenian, narros, pagus, tenenbri, and tilen) not including half-fae.
Query:
I know the standard fantasy races received a name change for the 4e version because of the flavoring restrictions of the GSL, but as the OGL has no such restriction, why not return to more classical fantasy names for the Pathfinder version?

Dias Ex Machina

Query:
I know the standard fantasy races received a name change for the 4e version because of the flavoring restrictions of the GSL, but as the OGL has no such restriction, why not return to more classical fantasy names for the Pathfinder version?

Damn good question which unfortunately requires more than a short answer. We didn’t change the standard fantasy races to conform to the GSL; we changed them to create a more original setting. When Amethyst was a free homebrew download (back in 2005), we kept the original D&D races. When we published our first book in 2008 for 3.5, we had changed the names and crunch, in many cases the result being a huge departure from their origins. Chaparrans were still influenced by both wood and wild elves, but tenenbri were a complete departure from their drow roots. This was not the case with monsters. Puggs were copied kobolds; boggs were copied goblins.

When we transitioned to 4th Edition, all we did to the player races was remove the mention of the word elf, replacing it with fae. We did nothing else to conform to the GSL. The races presented were as we envisioned them, intended to be original and a departure from fantasy tropes. When it came to monsters, we decided to create wholly new stat lines for the aforementioned boggs and pugs. In the end, we found this allowed us to create more original creations.

Going into Pathfinder, the thought of going back and using established non-Amethyst canon never occurred to us. We want Amethyst to be an original world, and we can’t do that be lifting fluff from D&D or Pathfinder.

So I think that’s where the confusion came from. We didn’t change the races because of the GSL; we had already done that for the 3.5 game, though not being obligated to do so. This shouldn’t stop anyone from allowing Pathfinder races in their own Amethyst game; it’s just not canon Amethyst. I have seen people running games with tieflings and dragonborn, so why not traditional Halflings and dwarves?

Dias Ex Machina

Based on feedback, we at DEM have decided to update the Amethyst Renaissance PDF Free Preview from 30 pages to 91. The preview includes pages 1-57, 146-159, and 268-287, now revealing all the new races, an introduction to weapons, and more information on the setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases