4E WotC, DDI, 4E, and Hasbro: Some History - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews

° Block Johnny3D3D

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphastream View Post
    Seriously? Have you seen the adds for Red Box that popped up when you used Yahoo mail or Google for e-mail related to gaming?
    no

Did you see the adds when Target carried the Red Box (still does online)?
    Honestly, until now, I had no idea Target ever carried the Red Box. Supposedly Wal-Mart carried it, and I believe they did, but none of the Wal-Marts here got any copies in.

Did you see the advertising of the D&D Bus at PAX and the lines of gamers that were new, young, and/or female, at PAX? Do you see the online communities that talk D&D due to the work of their community guys?
    I wasn't there, so no.

How many other RPGs have authors with books like ôConfessions of a Part-Time Sorceress, A Girlĺs Guide to the D&D Gameö and "Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Dungeons & Dragons"?
    I'm not sure, but I'll look into it.

And Encounters does make a big impact.
    I would agree with this. Unfortunately, Encounters didn't seem to work out well in this area. By that I mean the program started out strong, but interest tapered off very quickly. This is largely an anecdotal answer though; other posters say the opposite has been true where they live.

...and the budget to run it!
    completely agree

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 20 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

° Block Alphastream

° Friend+
    For what it is worth, today's announcement was reported in Forbes, CNN, and the New York Times. And that's well before release.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    D&DI Defended The Walls!

° Block smiteworks

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemeska View Post
    But they'd dropped double digit millions and didn't have anything to show for it close to launch.
    SmiteWorks has a fully working VTT and a proven ability to faithfully convert over 200 RPG products into fully functioning add-ons, adventures, core rulebooks, etc. This is even easier when the products are all from the same company and you don't have to figure out a bunch of different styles and formats. We would love to do this for Wizards of the Coast or Paizo for absolutely $0 up front and only a share of future sales (much like any distributor or retailer.)

Heck, we'd do that for the entire 3.5 and 4E product libraries as well as supporting 5E just to let the fan base choose whatever version they prefer. It may not be a subscription model like DDI, but from surveying our current user base of 23K+ users we've determined that our customers primarily want to buy a product once and never have to pay for using it again.

We have a number of these conversions already complete as a proof of concept. (Images and text in the screenshots are the property of Wizards of the Coast and are used to show compatibility only. No ownership or right to distribute by SmiteWorks is implied.)
    Attached Files Attached Files   
    Last edited by smiteworks; Sunday, 15th January, 2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: adding screenshots to show it isn't vapor ware

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Block ShinHakkaider

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by smiteworks View Post
    SmiteWorks has a fully working VTT and a proven ability to faithfully convert over 200 RPG products into fully functioning add-ons, adventures, core rulebooks, etc. This is even easier when the products are all from the same company and you don't have to figure out a bunch of different styles and formats. We would love to do this for Wizards of the Coast or Paizo for absolutely $0 up front and only a share of future sales (much like any distributor or retailer.)

Heck, we'd do that for the entire 3.5 and 4E product libraries as well as supporting 5E just to let the fan base choose whatever version they prefer. It may not be a subscription model like DDI, but from surveying our current user base of 23K+ users we've determined that our customers primarily want to buy a product once and never have to pay for using it again.

We have a number of these conversions already complete as a proof of concept. (Images and text in the screenshots are the property of Wizards of the Coast and are used to show compatibility only. No ownership or right to distribute by SmiteWorks is implied.)
    If only you had a native version that worked on OSX...

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    D&DI Defended The Walls!

° Block smiteworks

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinHakkaider View Post
    If only you had a native version that worked on OSX...
    Not a native version, but I run it on my iMac using WineBottler and it runs as well as on any of my PCs. Thankfully, Wine allows us to provide it for play on both Mac and Linux in a very stable environment without requiring a complete re-write of our core engine.

Many other FG users run on Mac using Crossover, plain Wine or Parallels. I personally liked WineBottler the best because it was free and is very easy to use once you get set up. It's great for running a large number of PC applications and games that were not designed for the Mac originally.

Here's a link. I highly recommend it, even if you don't decide to use it for FG.
    WineBottler - Run Windows Programs directly on OS X

This is the environment I used at Gen Con 2011 on the iMac in our booth.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider

° Block wedgeski

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    These remind me of building contractors. Any estimate a contractor gives you, you double the time and money and then you get nearer to the actual end result.
    Building contractors face only a tiny fraction of the uncertainties faced by software engineers. The problem is that the average layman simply doesn't see the difference.

Try building a house in a world where not only the size of the extension required by the client changes on a daily basis, but so does: the size of your client's house, your access to that house, the materials they want you to use, the materials you're allowed to use by code, the code, the language the code is written in, and on a really bad day, the force of gravity itself.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Block Otakkun

° Friend+
    I had always wondered just what could've happened to WotC for all the promised digital content on 4E to dissapear like that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Deleted - wrong thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply