What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Ignore GMforPowergamers
    Quote Originally Posted by delericho View Post
    That's all pretty terrifying. If that $50M figure is accurate, I really don't see how WotC can hit it.
    I know someone had some base number of subscribers for DDI, how close are they? I imagin board games and the Scyfy movie will help... but I wonder if ANY RPG company makes more then 30 mill...
    I'm with D&D...Any Edition

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore delericho
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by GMforPowergamers View Post
    I know someone had some base number of subscribers for DDI, how close are they? I imagin board games and the Scyfy movie will help... but I wonder if ANY RPG company makes more then 30 mill...
    The verified minimum number of subscribers is just over 66k. To hit $50M, the thinking is they'd need 250k subscribers. (Obviously, there's also some revenue from book sales, the board games, the few minis that are out, and so on...)

What we don't know is the number of 'hidden' subscribers. But it looks very much like they're a long way off.

So we come down to the fact that 4E was never necessary to begin with, it was only made to appeal to Hasbro...as I expected since the beginning all along anyway. Should've stuck with DDI but kept the edition the same, would've killed not two, but 3 birds with one stone.

Can a small company gain back the D&D brand once again? It got horribly screwed once it went corporate.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Kzach
    Wow. Sounds like the team that had to justify 4e's existence was in a desperate situation to keep the company alive and was grasping at straws to manufacture a solution out of the limited tools they had available; unfortunately none of them were McGuyver.

And now the current team has to pull a solution out of even more dire circumstance. Hasbro buying D&D was the worst thing that could ever happen to it, IMO.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore OpsKT
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerWickett View Post
    Also, does this mean Hasbro's considering a Magic: the Gathering movie? WotC sure seems to be working a lot on having recognizable characters with an ongoing storyline.
    Considering the way that the 4e Manual of the Planes was formatted, I always kind figured that the eventual goal (maybe the 2010 setting if it hadn't gotten bumped for Neverwinter) was a Magic + Plansescape setting for D&D to synergize the two brands.

Might be they were planning that and it got shelved, might be that it's still coming but a ways off, might be that the stuff in the MotP that made me and other think that was just Easter eggs for the fans.

I got a feeling that with their current problems, that we'll never know. Which makes my feelings on the edition wars against 4e all the more relevant.
    ~No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses.~ KT

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Kzach
    Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick Dragin View Post
    So we come down to the fact that 4E was never necessary to begin with, it was only made to appeal to Hasbro...as I expected since the beginning all along anyway. Should've stuck with DDI but kept the edition the same, would've killed not two, but 3 birds with one stone.

Can a small company gain back the D&D brand once again? It got horribly screwed once it went corporate.
    Sigh.

Do you not understand that 3.5 wasn't making enough money to sustain the company? Ie. it was a dead edition. Like or loathe it, WotC wouldn't exist at all without 4e.

The fact remains also that neither 3ed, 2ed, 1ed or even Basic were "necessary". They were ALL made to increase revenue and drive profit for a games COMPANY. If you believe that they made those editions out of the kindness of their hearts just to satisfy you, the gamer, who probably spends on average about $100 per edition on the edition, then you're living in a fantasy land full of elves and magic and fairy dust.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!ZEITGEISTNumeneraWotBSGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore Roland55
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by delericho View Post
    The verified minimum number of subscribers is just over 66k. To hit $50M, the thinking is they'd need 250k subscribers. (Obviously, there's also some revenue from book sales, the board games, the few minis that are out, and so on...)

What we don't know is the number of 'hidden' subscribers. But it looks very much like they're a long way off.
    Sigh.

Makes me wonder if I should "man up" and subscribe. BUT ... I don't even play 4e anymore.
    Roland55
    -Prehistoric Gamer
    -TechnoPhile

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick Dragin View Post

While 3.XE was moving toward more unified mechanics than previous editions, I think 4E took it even more so in that direct. I don't know if 3.XE was quite unified enough to translate to the eventual MMO switchover or crossover WotC seemed to have planned with their longterm proposal. I'd imagine 4E was meant to help bridge that gap, and therefore was probably a necessary step toward DDI and eventual MMO aspirations. Plus, the new naming conventions, along with the mechanics, of 4E seemed to be divised to wrest IP back from OGL era thinking for D&D.
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Ulrick
    My communities:

Sigh.

Maybe its time we should just except that D&D, in order to survive, must evolve into a different format or vanish in the next few years.
    "Farewell, Friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!"--Stormbringer

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Kzach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrick View Post
    Sigh.

Maybe its time we should just except that D&D, in order to survive, must evolve into a different format or vanish in the next few years.
    I accepted that when I figured out that 1e & 2e were actually different games, after starting in the hobby when 2e had just come out and being naive enough to buy up all the cheap 1e material because I thought, "Ooh, cheap AD&D stuff!"

Turns out, it wasn't AD&D at all! It was AD&D FIRST EDITION! Imagine my disappointment when I saw all those 1e books lying around with their useworn pages now useless and redundant. And thus began the vicious cycle of being forced to 'upgrade' every 5 to 10 years...

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast