WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition - Page 20




What's on your mind?

  1. #191
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Matthew L. Martin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    985

    Ignore Matthew L. Martin
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dad View Post
    Interesting citation from the Forbes site. It implies you drop miniatures for "lots of fighting". For what do you want miniatures then? Social games? Trapfinding?
    I believe the quote actually says "drop in"--i.e., add them. To be precise . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes
    Mearls says the new edition is being conceived of as a modular, flexible system, easily customized to individual preferences.

    Just like a player makes his character, the Dungeon Master can make his ruleset, says Mearls. He might say Im going to run a military campaign, its going to be a lot of fighting so hed use the combat chapter, drop in miniatures rules, and include the martial arts optional rules.

    You can have as little or as much customization as you want, he says. Its about letting people find their own way to play.
    I've been pushing for something like this for at least two and a half years, and if they can pull it off (it's a big if, but they've got the people and resources to do it), it just might work.

 

  • #192
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Nemesis Destiny's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,526

    Ignore Nemesis Destiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Rouse View Post
    People shouldn't put that much stock in what I say, in fact I may have turned into just another message board troll.
    No, perhaps they shouldn't, but they will (in fact, it's already started). I figured, being a marketing guy, you would realize the weight your words carry.

    People are going to cling to anything you say, good or bad, because of your past with WotC, and as such, anything you say automatically carries greater "weight" or clout. "The Rouse said it, so it must be true." Et cetera. People will use those words to lend strength to their own POV in arguments. It's showing up in signatures (naturally without context).

    Anyway, that's why I thought you were bitter with WotC (that and the rumours).

  • #193
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Scott_Rouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,040

    Ignore Scott_Rouse
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Wind View Post
    To paraphrase this man:



    "Let's not start rolling each other's dice quite yet."

    Paizo is three and a half year's in to their cycle. Whether they get to "8-10" years is very much a fact not (yet) in evidence. I appreciate the sentiment, but it's still too early to be planning that parade route.



    You sending the Wolf?

    I feel better now!
    Scott Rouse

    My Blog: Stepping out of the Books

  • #194
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Scott_Rouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,040

    Ignore Scott_Rouse
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post
    No, perhaps they shouldn't, but they will (in fact, it's already started). I figured, being a marketing guy, you would realize the weight your words carry.

    People are going to cling to anything you say, good or bad, because of your past with WotC, and as such, anything you say automatically carries greater "weight" or clout. "The Rouse said it, so it must be true." Et cetera. People will use those words to lend strength to their own POV in arguments. It's showing up in signatures (naturally without context).

    Anyway, that's why I thought you were bitter with WotC (that and the rumours).
    People have been miss-attributing the stuff I say for years so I guess it is nothing new.

    Maybe it's because I've been pretty silent on stuff like this in the past. Sure I said something provocative but this should not be new news to anyone. It's all been said by the members of the community a million times before and by people in the industry as of late (looks at Escapist article which was pretty spot on).
    Scott Rouse

    My Blog: Stepping out of the Books

  • #195
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Nemesis Destiny's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,526

    Ignore Nemesis Destiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Rouse View Post
    People have been miss-attributing the stuff I say for years so I guess it is nothing new.

    Maybe it's because I've been pretty silent on stuff like this in the past. Sure I said something provocative but this should not be new news to anyone. It's all been said by the members of the community a million times before and by people in the industry as of late (looks at Escapist article which was pretty spot on).
    Sure, it has been said by other members of the community, but to many, you aren't just a member of that community - you represent it.

    Anyway, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that us 4e supporters will be doing damage control on that one for quite some time, I'm afraid.

    I've otherwise very much enjoyed having a conversation with a legendary (at least semi-legendary) figure in the D&D community.

  • #196
    Potassium-Rich Moderator
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Kamikaze Midget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,434
    Blog Entries
    24

    Ignore Kamikaze Midget
    My communities:

    Some folks have an axe to grind, and they're not above taking things out of context to grind it.
    -- Jacob J Driscoll, Unsleeping---
    "A one inch mound of flesh with a scar running down it"

    PS5e v. 0.1: Faction Backgrounds
    Tieflings (& other planetouched) | Bariaur | Githzerai | Outcaste Modron
    FINAL FANTASY ZERO
    finalfantasyzero.wikidot.com

  • #197
    Registered User
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    TheAuldGrump's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    6,674

    Ignore TheAuldGrump
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson View Post
    Ah, here we go; actual footage of Scott Rouse parachuting out of Wizards after the release of 4e:

    Skydive Escape - YouTube
    Sorry, I need to correct your footage.

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0]Skydive Rescue[/ame]



    The Auld Grump, that scene still makes me laugh....
    Oh, I am a cook, and a captain bold, and the mate of the Nancy brig,
    The midship mite,
    And the Bo'sun tight,
    And the crew of the captain's gig...

    I got a Silver Level subscription to EN World for
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/images/...eit_smilie.jpg

  • #198
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    nnms's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    722

    Ignore nnms
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryOatmeal View Post
    But I'm not quite sure that "design by committee of 10,000 internet nerds" approach is the direction WOTC is going to go. It's hard to imagine anyone would sign off on that approach and it appears WOTC has already made some big decisions about where they want the game to go independent of the online community. I think they'll use the community to get the kinks out and obtain feedback, rather than allowing them to dictate major decisions. I'd say it worked out pretty well for Pathfinder, and it appears that's the model they want to follow.
    I think you've got the right idea here.

    WotC already has their processes and procedures that have been expanded upon in various interviews and panel events.

    Design --> Development --> Playtesting

    If you want to see what WotC expects of its playtesters, take a look at the Barbarian PDF that came out for playtesting before 4E PHB2. Or the Assassin PDF that came out for playtesting before Heroes of Shadow.

    I think we'll see that WotC has a particular vision for their product and are not looking for everything to be first subject to the approval of random internet people.

    Unless they are planning on a 2014+ release date, the rules wouldn't get done in time if they were designed or developed by internet volunteers.

  • #199
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Scott_Rouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,040

    Ignore Scott_Rouse
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post

    Anyway, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that us 4e supporters will be doing damage control on that one for quite some time, I'm afraid.
    Us 4e supporters need to stick together so fire up that bat signal thing I'll come in and roll some heads.

    I've otherwise very much enjoyed having a conversation with a legendary (at least semi-legendary) figure in the D&D community.
    thanks

    Sincerely,

    Scott Rouse
    The semi-legendary soon to be 5e supporter

  • #200
    Registered User
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    Lanefan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    5,260

    Ignore Lanefan
    That they seem to be trying to hearken back to earlier (as in, much earlier) versions - at least to some extent - gives me hope.

    If the end result is merely a 3e-4e hybrid, however, I'll be sorely disappointed.

    Lan-"and the number shall be five; not six, not four..."-efan
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    DM: Telenet 1984-1994, Riveria 1995-2007, Decast 2008 -->
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition
      By Morrus in forum News
      Replies: 301
      Last Post: Wednesday, 16th May, 2012, 01:34 PM
    2. Mantle of Unity
      By Xyrlove Woodsoul in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Friday, 25th February, 2011, 12:13 AM
    3. Unity 3d is now free
      By TheFool1972 in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: Friday, 27th November, 2009, 08:03 PM
    4. Unity - ToB Game (Recruiting)
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 37
      Last Post: Monday, 16th October, 2006, 02:30 AM
    5. WotC seeks RPG game designer
      By Napftor in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Friday, 2nd July, 2004, 01:13 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •