WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition - Page 22

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore S'mon
    BTW I'm surprised to have read through 14 pages of this thread on "WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition" and I'm surprised not to have seen any cracks about Mike Mearls = Little Annie Skywalker, bringing Unity to The Force.
    ***Henry/S'mon Super Quick d20 NPC Generation System*** The Gods of the Copybook Headings With Terror and Slaughter Return!

eriktheguy, on S'mon's latest idea:
    There are 2 major problems with your idea:
    1: It is far too awesome
    2: see 1

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    I believe the quote actually says "drop in"--i.e., add them. To be precise . . .
    Thanks for the clarification. I misread ths.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefan View Post
    That they seem to be trying to hearken back to earlier (as in, much earlier) versions - at least to some extent - gives me hope.

If the end result is merely a 3e-4e hybrid, however, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Lan-"and the number shall be five; not six, not four..."-efan
    What exactly was the great thing in the earlier editions that was missing in 3e/4e?

Rules? Flavor?
    Signature

Hi I'm a comic and rpg nerd. Don't hurt me, please.

PS: English is NOT my native language!

May the 4th be with you!

PbPs

Invisible Castle

http://www.d20srd.org/
    Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)

My Houserules

I am SpiderClan

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dad View Post
    What exactly was the great thing in the earlier editions that was missing in 3e/4e?

Rules? Flavor?
    Simplicity. In the original game there wasn't vast lists of Feats, Skills, Powers, and tactical maneuvres. There wasn't a need for grid based combat, you could roll up a character in 5 minutes, and the core books weren't 500 pages long.

There was a lack of balance, rules that didn't make sense and so on - but the core game could be grasped very quickly, and the character archetypes were pretty clear.

Thanks for the clarification. I misread ths.

Rules? Flavor?
    Speed/simplicity of character creation, limited requirements for beginning player/DM knowledge (i.e. thin books -- this began to vanish under 2e). Limited choice/archtypes.

Speed of combat resolution with very limited emphasis on battlemat play. Most games I ran used a blackboard for the tactical map and basic positioning. Unless you got to gods on the battlefield, creatures had less than 100 hp -- usually a lot less.

Slumbering in Tsar
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore DaveMage
    Quote Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
    3E came out in the year 2000 and Essentials is not a new edition, so it's:

2000-2013 (13 Year Span): 3e, 3.5, 4E, 5E

Thats still a fast release of new editions, but not as bad as you have written. Also I want to point out that the shortest Edition from that was 3E and 4E will be 5 years in the market, which is the same as 3.5.

(Source: Dungeons & Dragons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
    Oh, I know 3.0 came out in 2000. My point was that in 2002 we had 3.0, then the others. The debate whether essentials is a new edition notwithstanding, that's still a lot of edition turnover in a short period of time.

I grew up on AD&D (12 years) and 2E (11 years). I liked that pace.

Will Pathfinder be like that pace? I can hope. If Paizo is true to their word that the rules exist to support their adventures, then there should be very little need to change the rules going forward. I'm very interested in what stories they can tell with adventures and monsters. Not as much interested in new rules - there are already enough options in Pathfinder rules-wise to game with for decades (at least at the pace that I play).

(And, adding epic rules *ahem* would be the last thing that I need for a very long time.)
    Last edited by DaveMage; Tuesday, 10th January, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Only you can prevent forest fires. That's right - you!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore bhandelman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinachcat View Post
    So we are not getting the VTT? AKA, the only thing that can possibly invigorate D&D in the current era?
    I think it's highly debatable that a VTT is "the only thing that can possibly invigorate D&D in the current era" or is even that relevant. There are tons of VTTs out there, some pretty decent, and they aren't making an impact. They also didn't say anything to lead one to believe there won't be a VTT, only that they consider tabletop gaming the most important part of their market.

Wow. I guess Hasbro really has no faith in the D&D IP.
    I would say flying out reporters from both fan sites like ENWorld and major news media like NY Times and Forbes lead one to believe they have a lot of faith in the IP.

I can't see 5e succeeding in their "please everyone" fantasy. They can't make it Old School enough to please Old Schoolers at the same time pleasing fans of 3e and 4e.
    Yeah, I'm not sure trying to please everyone is a good idea, but we'll see what they do.

I wonder who will create the "Pathfinder" version of 4e?

Wouldn't that be a hoot that WotC would be forced to compete with Pathfinder, the OSR and a 4e clone plus all those people who didn't leave 3e and 4e!!!

Talk about a house divided.
    Can't happen, as the GSL doesn't allow it to happen. This is the major criticism of the OGL, it allowed someone else to pick up the previous addition and make DnD it's own competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by bhandelman View Post

<snip>

Can't happen, as the GSL doesn't allow it to happen. This is the major criticism of the OGL, it allowed someone else to pick up the previous addition and make DnD it's own competitor.
    0e, 1e, and 2e didn't even have a license and there are clones of those using the OGL.

It is possible to do though it'd be an awful lot of work. Probably won't happen unless there is a large enough disenfranchised segment.

4ognard
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gygax MagazineI Defended The Walls!

Ignore TerraDave
    Quote Originally Posted by Echohawk View Post
    ...Picture that says way more then 1000 words
    Awesome.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989
    All the official stuff for 4e
    Bonus:

4E has rituals, use them, they're magic;
    Want to see the greatest thing you will ever see? then click;
    You can use Earth as a D&D setting;
    Origins of The Rouse; (look for it)
    The Rouse responds; (look for it)
    One can appreciate both old and new D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by talok55 View Post
    Yeah, it is. I can't give numbers, but I've seen countless "I've left 4E for Pathfinder threads" on forums and am part of gaming group that left 4E for Pathfinder. I've heard it enough that is seems to be a fairly common occurance.
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but lately here at EnWorld, there have been quite a few posts of people saying that they left 4e for Pathfinder... and now are back playing 4e because they remember why they left 3.x in the first place.

It doesn't mean that one game sucks more than the other or one is badwrongfun, but that many of the frustrations many people had with 3.x still exist in Pathfinder.
    Last edited by catsclaw227; Tuesday, 10th January, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Game on, gang!
    Ptolus #15 (with customized, personalized sig from Monte.), Rappan Athuk Reloaded #37 (The Necromancer way.)

Current Campaign

Current Campaign: Currently running Deadlands for Savage Worlds. Also have a Slumbering Tsar 4e campaign that is taking a break, but we'll be starting that up again in the summer.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Bagpuss

Rules? Flavor?
    or just sense of nostalgia?

My RPG Stuff - Free D20 Modern GM's Screen available.
    Wolfgang Baur I cheated your room.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast