How does EN Publishing feel WotC announcement?

Nebten

First Post
What are the initial thoughts of those involved with EN Publishing feel about WotC announcement with the impending new edition? (Publishers, writers, designers, etc)

Resent history shows WotC decides to change things up right when ENP is in the middle of a big production:

4th edition was released when the original War of the Burning Sky* was just over half way complete, and then had to be re-designed for 4th edition a year or so later.

Now ENP hasn't even gotten out of heroic tier with Zeitgeist with today's news.

Where does this leave development of Santiago? Will it delay production to see the new edition unfolds with regards to mechanics and publishing rights? Or will it continue with just 4th edition and Pathfinder?

Also, I'm wondering how over all this effect a publishing company having an additional layer to content with. Since ENP was established with 3.x material, has it been worth it to also expand into the 4E market and will continue to do so with these trends?

*(which I ran and completed, a fun series)

It's still very early to know what we'll end up doing, but if assumptions about an August 2013 release are correct, we'll have already put out adventure 9 of ZEITGEIST by then. If you've read the DM's Guide for the adventure path, it . . . well, it almost makes sense to switch rulesets after that adventure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm under an NDA, and giving my opinion would pretty much involve saying stuff I'm not able to say. Sorry!

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
It's still very early to know what we'll end up doing, but if assumptions about an August 2013 release are correct, we'll have already put out adventure 9 of ZEITGEIST by then. If you've read the DM's Guide for the adventure path, it . . . well, it almost makes sense to switch rulesets after that adventure.

**SPOILERS**

While designing 3rd edition, Monte Cook began introducing new rules into his ongoing 2E campaign as he went. At fairly mid-high level, a major astrological event occured that fundamentally altered the way magic worked in the campaign world and ushered in 3E in full.

The event that occurs in Zeitgeist could explain more than just magical changes and would be the ideal opportunity to make them, should you be in a position to do so. Fingers crossed and hear's hoping for a successful adventure path, however it turns out!

(Now, where's adventure #3? ;))

Colmarr

First Post
If you've read the DM's Guide for the adventure path, it . . . well, it almost makes sense to switch rulesets after that adventure.

I hope you don't.

I haven't liked the thrust of the Legends and Lore articles, and with Mearls and Cook at the helm I suspect I won't be adopting 5e. It almost seems prescient that you included guidelines to finish the AP in paragon...

On a more practical note, given how little support epic has gotten in 4e, I imagine it''s going to be a bear to design an epic adventure for 5e right out of the gate.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I hope you don't.

I haven't liked the thrust of the Legends and Lore articles, and with Mearls and Cook at the helm I suspect I won't be adopting 5e. It almost seems prescient that you included guidelines to finish the AP in paragon...

On a more practical note, given how little support epic has gotten in 4e, I imagine it''s going to be a bear to design an epic adventure for 5e right out of the gate.

I disagree. If it is truly as modular as they say, creating the epic tier modules in the new iteration shouldn't be impossible. With Ryan's grasp of design, I doubt it would set him back more than a month.

I'll resist the urge to put in the spiky hair, but the last time I saw appropriately 'epic' combat, it looked like this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBnPR19NUm4&t=170[/ame]

(Yes, it's ridiculous. Skip to 2:50.)

"Well, your Supra-Cleave misses him."

"Meh, fine. I chop the landscape in half instead. I'll also activate my 'ominous Latin choir' as a minor action."

Last edited:

Falkus

Explorer
I disagree. If it is truly as modular as they say, creating the epic tier modules in the new iteration shouldn't be impossible. With Ryan's grasp of design, I doubt it would set him back more than a month.

Personally, when I start a campaign, I'd rather complete it using the same system; not swap halfway through.

Though I run this in Pathfinder in any case; so this news isn't going to have an impact on my game either way.

N'raac

First Post
Personally, when I start a campaign, I'd rather complete it using the same system; not swap halfway through.

Long term, will having Zeitgeist (or any AP) requiring two editions of rules be viable marketing? I suspect, at some point, the whole AP will need to be revised to reflect the new edition if it's to remain salable, at which time there won't be a change of rule systems over the course of the AP anyway. Of course, that doesn't prevent having the later sections done in 5e from the outset, but I suspect many groups will prefer to finish the AP in the 4e rules they started with. A lot depends on how tough converting the PC's from 4e to 5e would be, too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases