Hell on Wheels

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Anyone else been following this series?

I can't say it grabbed me from the start, nor does it particular compel me to keep watching, but at the same time I do enjoy it and find myself continuing to view it each week.

Although one thing struck me like a bolt of lightning during this week's episode: Bohannon is the protagonist in an RPG video game!

Seriously. You kinda have to watch it to understand why but basically he's got a revenge schtick background and everyone comes to him to solve their problems.

Anyway, what does everyone else think about it?

Ahzad

Explorer
I've enjoyed it so far as well. I have the same thing it's not a show that I go man I can't wait until next week, but when I do set down to watch 2 or 3 off the dvr I'm always like glad I didn't give up on this. I've kinda of wanted a new western to watch since Deadwood and this fills the bill.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I had been comparing this in my mind to Justified. Unfortunately, now that Justified is back on, I have to say that it really doesn't hold a candle to it. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of Deadwood either, and it could be said Hell on Wheels is a Deadwood clone of sorts.

Goodsport

Explorer
The series thankfully has been renewed for a second season. :)

And mmm... Lily (even doubly-so in last Sunday's season finale)!
love0006.gif

-G

P.S. = The Swede getting tarred and feathered... :eek:

Insight

Adventurer
I've watched the entire first season and enjoyed it. I find it a pretty brave series, to be honest, in the current PC environment. They are willing to be fairly contemporary about issues prevalent in the setting - the recent freedom of slaves, the racial backlash against not only the freed slaves, but also the natives, also gender role issues with women. There are very few "feel good moments" in this show - I find it fairly realistic (for a TV show, anyway).

One important theme or lesson to take away from the show, and it dovetails with the revenge theme of the main character: you never get away with ANYTHING. Not forever.

Krug

Newshound
I found it quite all right. It didn't really break new ground, and Bohanon seemed to have super powers. Stand and fire without getting shot, tracking down Lily (or was it just stumbled onto her) and so on.

It's a good concept, but besides Durant, most of the characters have a recycled quality. It doesn't take itself seriously as Deadwood, which I found hard to get into.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases