How do you feel about the future of D&D after the official announcements?

How do you feel about the future of D&D after the recent announcements?

• Positive

Votes: 459 56.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 11.3%

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I'm guardedly optimistic about it. It seems like they've learned a lot from their experiences with 3.X and 4e, and they're saying a lot of things that have piqued my interest-- but as a Pathfinder player and as a non-d20 guy in general, I don't have a whole lot of emotional investment in it.

Aside from wishing them well in their endeavors, I'm only mildly curious about what they're going to do with it.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I voted neutral. I have not had a solid, regular D&D game since 3.5 came out (mostly due to friends moving and families growing, rather than the revision). I was excited for 4e and play a little with my 9 year old son and some of his friends, but I just cannot get into 4e.

I'm hopeful for a new edition that appeals to my son and his friends and to me, but the last time I felt this excitement it was while reading early release info for 4e, so I am more than a touch skeptical.

avin

First Post
Optymist.

Both 3.5/Pathfinder have flaws. I want a game free of 3.5 unbalance/combos and 4E healing surges/grind combat.

I want the good stuff from every edition kept.

And, by the way, I want not only crunch to be optional, but also fluff.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
It's my dream edition

It's like Wizards read my mind.

The problem they are trying to tackle -- D&D's broad fan base with greatly differing preferences -- is something I've been saying for years. And their stated approach -- a game with simple core rules, and modular add-ons to suit each group -- is something I've wanted for years.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn (it's not like I have any evidence to back this up) -- just trying to express how extremely excited I am about this new edition.

-- 77IM

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Put me down for Negative.........

5th edition D&D is just Wizards of the Coast in panic-mode in light of Paizo's SMASH HIT Pathfinder RPG blowing D&D out of the water in sales the last couple of months.

Leaving D&D 5th edition up to the players is one of the most historically stupid marketing moves they could have made.

Mostly because of the fact that the 4th edition players are the most aware of the move being that their edition of D&D is being shelved.

So they will be the players giving the most feedback. Thus making 5th edition probably a 4th edition clone.

If you want to re-boot D&D, my advice is:
** Take a little of what Paizo did with pathfinder rules-wise.(Meaning the minor tweaks to 3rd edition to make it cool.)

** Stick with traditional core races. (Maybe releasing variant races later on in secondary rules books.)

**REWIND THE WORLD HISTORY BACK TO WHERE IT WAS BEFORE THE FAST FOWARDING OF TIME KILLED OFF ALL THE COOL ICONIC CHARACTERS!!!

**Commission awesome RPG artists to give the game and D&D world a fresh look. NOT A CHINESE VIDEO GAME COMPANY TO DO THE ARTWORK!! ..........IDIOTS!!

** Take the RPG Gamers advice and ideas into consideration when designing the next iteration of D&D. But in the end integrate ideas that are right for the D&D RPG gaming community as a whole. At the risk of sounding cheesy "UNITE THE 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th EDITION D&D PLAYERS".

**Put some money into more universal gaming aids. Like a universal battlemap software with both Hex and Square movement so it can be used for other RPG's. Put the money behind it to make it look awesome with an easy to use interface. The more universal you make things, the more players of other game systems will BUY YOUR PRODUCT!

** And finally, lets face it, we gamers collect things like borderline hoarders! Some refer to pre-painted plastic minis as plasti-crack. Theres money out there to be made on D&D minis. Just need to fill the needs of the players. I gotta say, Pathfinder minis are definitly on the right track with the distribution system, Price, and QUALITY of their minis. I'll say it again, Q U A L I T Y of their minis. The only complaint I would have is that Pathfinder minis are too pastel and could stand to be a little more dark in color.

To sum up.......Good luck Wizards. Because all the spurned employees you let go went to Paizo with all their good concepts and their making a killing!!

:):):):)

Last edited:

emanresu

First Post
Paizo..........spanish for clown, right? WOTC ought to get off the coast and join middle America in a down to earth / grass root effort to bring D & D back. Back in time, to 3.0/3.5 fix the stupid, fill in some pot holes.................dont fix what aint broke. Never played Pathfinder but apparently thats kinda what they did. So Would 5E be a rip off of Pathfinder 1E? The only thing I know is nobody around us purchased 4E or had any interest in changing. Most game groups I know of run a campaign between 3.0 and 3.5. Using what they like from both.

Nagol

Unimportant
Paizo..........spanish for clown, right? WOTC ought to get off the coast and join middle America in a down to earth / grass root effort to bring D & D back. Back in time, to 3.0/3.5 fix the stupid, fill in some pot holes.................dont fix what aint broke. Never played Pathfinder but apparently thats kinda what they did. So Would 5E be a rip off of Pathfinder 1E? The only thing I know is nobody around us purchased 4E or had any interest in changing. Most game groups I know of run a campaign between 3.0 and 3.5. Using what they like from both.

Paizo is the Greek verb "to play".

DragonAstik

First Post
It seems like they're admitting that the way Paizo created Pathfinder was the way they should have handled 4E. Not in the sense that Pathfinder was so close to 3E, but in the sense that Pathfinder was the result of extensive public play testing and input, as opposed to something designed and developed in secret.

Paizo with the creation of Pathfinder has bended to the masses who’ve played and loved the game for years. They choose to listen, and fix what we the mass have complained about for years. They also have provided great media distribution with amendments with no charge to us who have paid for the additional PDF recourses (Kudos Paizo.)

pauljathome

First Post
Most game groups I know of run a campaign between 3.0 and 3.5. Using what they like from both.

If NEITHER Pathfinder NOR 4th ed got you to move on then I think most game groups you know of are firmly out of WOTCs target demographic. While I sincerely hope that you're all happy with that I hope even harder that WOTC does NOT try and get you back into the fold as doing so would almost certainly lose more customers than it would win.

One thing that perusing this and various other threads has convinced me is that making all gamers even remotely content is absolutely impossible. Hopefully making 75% happy (and 90% content) is both possible AND sufficient

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases