How do you feel about the future of D&D after the official announcements?

How do you feel about the future of D&D after the recent announcements?

• Positive

Votes: 459 56.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 11.3%

Norcross

First Post
Positive. I don't know how they can possibly integrate 4e with the rest, and would be perfectly fine if they just dumped it, but I see this news as the most positive thing to happen with D&D in many years.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly Cyderak, they don't have much choice. It's not like they have an art staff anymore. So, any art they do have will be commission in any case. Who they commission will depend on lots of things, but, it's always going to be out-sourced. D&D art hasn't been in-house for over a decade.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I'm neutral.

There's still too much we don't know. How modular is modular? What are they trying to mimic from previous editions, and how will those aspects work alongside the aspects mimicked from other editions.

And to be honest, WOTC has been long on promise and short on delivery lately. I was really excited about the possibility of a virtual table top 4 years ago.

I'll try to follow the news about it. I may be able to convince my group to try to playtest. When the complete ruleset comes out I'll give it a look-see. It's just too hard to get worked up about it right now, when so many things will change from what I think I'm hearing at the moment to when the game is released.

I hope to change my opinion to hopeful, eventually.

thegrayghost

Explorer
I'm neutral, but curious on the new edition. Right now it sounds like a bad infomercial. It dices, it slices, it does everything! All for the low low price of $19.95, but wait there's more. Time will tell if it is one of those late night purchase's that end up in every garage sale or something that you can't live without.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Definitely positive. It's not going to be easy doing all they want to do, but the goal is worthwhile. I think the next edition will be significantly simpler at its core, and that may very well be a good thing. I personally like the complexity of 4E, but not everybody does. In the end, good design goals for me are balanced classes, cooperation among players and easy prep for the DM. How they go accomplishing that I don't particularly care.

As the dude on Storage Wars says, YUUUP!

William Ronald

Explorer
I find myself somewhere between neutral and positive. I barely played any 4E and I am an active Pathfinder player. Yet, I think that the new edition could be good for our hobby. However, I think it will be hard if not impossible to reunify a greatly fragmented base. Also, it seems that a LOT of people want different things from a new edition.

fumetti

First Post
POSITIVE.

I want D&D to feel like D&D again.

I enjoyed 4E well enough, but I felt like I was playing... something other than D&D.

I believe Mearls & co. really do want to make a version that we will all want to play, and that simply must have appeal to fans of older editions.

If 5E fails, I believe it will be done as well as possible, and just be sad proof that you CAN'T please all (or most of) the fans with a single edition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases