How do you feel about the future of D&D after the official announcements? - Page 3

What's on your mind?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the future of D&D after the recent announcements?

Voters
2326. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

1,354 58.21%
  • Neutral

648 27.86%
  • Negative

324 13.93%
+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

A country of homogeneous white pseudo-Protestants with a bland sense of style

Ignore Jon_Dahl
    Negative. I think trying combine the best elements of every edition will result a mish-mash that doesn't please anyone. It would be better to focus on certain types of players in order to create a consistent game. But trying to create a game that combines everything of 40 years of D&D is very bad idea.

It's a marketing gimmick, but it's a bad one.

"Everything for everyone!" Please... Do these at the market square wearing a cheap trenchcoat.
    My humour is sometimes in poor taste but I mean no disrespect. I ask you not to be offended, please.

Ignore Ranes
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    "5Mind"? Awesome. First I've hear it. Beats "3etard" and "4ron."
    Thank you. It came to me yesterday and I've been waiting for the right moment to use it. I'd love it if it caught on.

Edit: And it is certainly not intended to be denigrating.
    Last edited by Ranes; Wednesday, 11th January, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Cautiously positive. The team seems to be solid (No sign of [Edited out; we have rules about insulting other EN World members, even if they do happen to be game designers. Feel free to comment on someone's work, but please do not insult people directly - Morrus]) and they are actually letting people who play D&D test this one and being more open to the community.

Still I'm dubious about the all things to all people shtick.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 11th January, 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore nexgen
    Positive.

Even as an OSR publisher, I am earnestly rooting for this one. Can't pinpoint my feelings here, but I'm just behind this more than I thought I would be.

D&D is the game I grew up with. Took a few weird twists and turns along the way, but I feel somewhat obligated to at least hope they nail it.

We all love Paizo and the OSR, but we probably love them for creating and supporting a certain style of "D&D".

So, I'll get behind WotC this time, at least for now. A revitalization of D&D and some solidarity is good for all of us, gamers and publishers alike.
    Last edited by nexgen; Wednesday, 11th January, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Tom Ryan
    NewHaven Games
    Join the Myth & Magic Campaign
    www.newhavengames.com

Players Rights Advocate COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Ignore Hussar
    Honestly, right now, I'm neutral at best. I guess it's mostly fatigue on my part. People have been raising the battle cry for the next edition since day 1 of 4e and I'm just so bloody tired of the whole thing.
    The rules don't give the DM their authority. The consent of the players does. - Mallus

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Gundark
    My communities:

Cautiously optimistic. Very negative towards the upcoming edition war.
    Follow me on Twitter @darryl4nderson.

Pathfinder subscriber COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore billd91
    I voted positive. My view of D&D's future has been negative ever since 4e debuted and it became clear how different and narrowly designed it was. So anything that pulls back from that vision to be more inclusive of other play styles common in the D&D experience is going to be in a positive direction, in my opinion.
    Bill D

"There's a fine line between a superpower and a chronic medical condition."
    - Doctor Impossible

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore ShinHakkaider
    Negative.

We have just settled into a nice groove where people were playing what they liked. There are groups playing 4E. There are groups playing Pathfinder. There are some people even playing BOTH.

Now not only will WOTC be releasing a new edition, they will also still be supporting 4E via the DDI and with this "Edition for all players of D&D" thing that they're trying to do are definitely going to be trying to get those who migrated to Pathfinder back in the fold.

I like having a pool of players for my game of choice and almost left the hobby back in 2008 because the pool of 3.5 players dried up because of the newness of 4E. I really dont want to deal with that crap again. It wont matter if the game is actually any good or not people will flock to it because it's new.
    I'm thinking you're totally out to lunch on this one. Find another form of foreplay that doesn't involve 3 hours of explanation and a pocket calculator.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore afstanton
    I really only have one suggestion for WotC regarding 5e:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/compatibility
    Help or get out of the way.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Ignore CleverNickName
    My communities:

I voted neutral.

I have been cheerfully and contentedly playing 3.5E for the past two years, and I'm not shopping for something new. I quickly lost interest in WotC when they stopped selling material for the system I like to play, and until they do (even selling PDFs of out-of-print books would be enough for me), they don't really have anything to offer me. I'll tinker with Pathfinder every now and then, or run the occasional BECM sandbox game, but I'm a solid fan of 3.5E and I don't really see any reason to change.

But I wish them well in their endeavors, and I hope this new edition is successful and that their business thrives. And I am very interested in this new edition that they are developing, but I'm purely a spectator. (Whenever rumors of a new edition are circulating, it's like everybody's creative juices start flowing.) I hope 5E is a smash-hit...I just won't be buying it.
    Last edited by CleverNickName; Wednesday, 11th January, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    - CleverSignature

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast