Star Wars The Old Republic MMO

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Who here is playing?

I intend to buy the game this weekend and would love to know people's thoughts.

What classes are the most common? I've read "Sith Inquisitor" and "Bounty Hunter."

Are people playing both Light and Dark Side?

What should I avoid?

Is there a useful beginner's page somewhere?

Agamon

Adventurer
I was all, "Yay, another MMO..." but then I learned some more info about it. And yikes, I need to forget all about it, I have no time to devote to this...

Kzach

Banned
Banned
What should I avoid?

Yeah, avoid the game entirely.

Here's a measure you can use for yourself to gauge whether you'll be happy with it or not:

1) Did you play Cryptic's Star Trek MMO?

2) Did you like it?

If you answered yes to both questions, then the Star Wars MMO will be right up your alley. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague that it is.

Insight

Adventurer
I am playing it and I have no idea what the previous poster is talking about (though I have not played Star Trek, so who knows). The game is definitely NOT a plague by any stretch. In fact, for an MMO that is just post-launch, it is VERY polished (anyone who played WOW for the first 6 months can attest to this).

I recommend the game to anyone who wants something different. I don't know what sort of legs the game will have, but, like I said, it is JUST post-launch. Give them time to add stuff that didn't make it in for launch.

Falkus

Explorer
No idea what Kzach is talking about either. I've been playing since release; and I've had an amazing time. It's an incredibly fun MMO. My main character is a Gunslinger Smuggler; and I've gotten an Imperial Agent, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Troop up to the mid tens.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Kzach is unafraid to share his opinions, public sentiment be damned. :p

A half-dozen of my local friends are playing, so I bought the game. I have the time.

Sutekh

First Post
Im more annoyed that it's not available in Australia yet.. at least through local retailers. I had read about some horrendous wait times to actually get in to play the game.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I wasn't particularly impressed when I tried it on the Beta stress test weekend back in November.

It'll help if you're a fan of CRPGs. I am not. So, the talky cutscenes got really irritating after a while. It honestly felt like a way of artificially extending gameplay, to have to listen to people talk. About 8th level or so, my eyes started rolling. I got bored and irritated in Coruscant, about 12th level, after I got tired of slaughtering LED-lightstick*-wielding gangsters in droves looking for quest drops.

* - This is what you first start using as a Force-user. And it's used by EVERYONE. Even the savage almost atechnic aboriginal "Flesh Raiders." Can't anybody just use a damn knife? Even a vibroknife?

I also felt there was a bit of tone-deafness some places. I mean, really bad tone-deafness. Hell, I'll sblock this, just in case someone gets offended about story spoilers.

[sblock]So, the pinnacle of the Jedi Consular's questline on the starting world, Tython, has you forging your own lightsaber from the "Hilt of the First Blade," which is actually pretty cool. You then go and use it to beat down this Dark Side-leaning force adept, whose LED-lightstick just can't compare. Also, reasonably cool, though it was really more button-mashy than a cool fight.

And then I get to the Republic Fleet, and am told I have to pick a specialization. Okay, cool. I go Shadow, since that's the rogue-type.

"Here you go, your new double-bladed lightsaber! Remember, you have to use this to Backstab...er, um, Shadow Strike people. Because it's impossible to stab someone in the back using a single-bladed lightsaber."[/sblock]

Wow, thanks.

I honestly hadn't intended to pick the game up, but i like doing the beta stress tests so I can preview games. And, really, while it exceeded my initial expectations, those were fairly low to begin with. I'm not bored with WoW, and my rogue's doing her legendary questline.

Now, again, this is all IMHO, and it's entirely possible it'll be your cup of tea. But I wasn't that impressed.

Brad

I played Startrek Online, and I liked it for its theme and space combat, but it lacks content and depth in the long run. The part that I surprisingly liked most for the entire time was PvP (and I am not normally a competitive player), and that is barely improved on.

TOR is way too early to tell if it can be better in all these regards. But it manages a much more immersive storyline (and yes, the voice acting does greatly help in that) from the start. If you like CRPGs, especially Bioware titles, then TOR is perfectly suited for you.

The game has been so far very stable and reliable to me, with very few glitches. Of course, going by forums, there must be some very unlucky people that encounter all the bugs the game, but I think there is a very reasonable chance you won't be in that position, and it's neither unique for an MMO nor for any other computer game to encounter such issues (I may even say it's one of the better examples in quality).

Circvs Maximvs (EN World sister board) members have created two guilds (Empire: Sturm und Drang; Republic: Wookies stole my Arms). I am currently playing a Sith Inquisitor, and I liked the storyline overall (there are some flaws, though), though I heard that other class storylines are even better. (I hear a lot of good stuff about the Imperial Agent, which is why it is itching me to play it).

My Sith Inqusitior is dark side, but there is a good chance my Imperial Agent will be light-sided, and my Jedi Knight definitely will be.

Anyone playing the Beta Test: I did so as well, and I wasn't really impressed by it, but it was enjoyable enough to pick it up. I didn't like the initial Jedi Knight quests much (which was my beta character), but I loved the Sith Inquisitor opening. (From the start you meet a superior you have to hate.)

Remove ads