Gen Con Badges and VIG Package

BriarMonkey

First Post
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400 mso-fareast-language:#0400 mso-bidi-language:#0400} </style> <![endif]--> This is a question for anyone that’s attended Gen Con of late, as I haven't been in attendance since 2005.

Gen Con recently sent out an email reminding folks that registration opens on January 29th. In that same email, they stated badge prices for the 2012 convention. A 4-day badge is 70$, whereas the Very Important Gamer (VIG) package is 540$.

So, having bounced around the Gen Con site and reading up on the VIG package, I have to say I am confused. Based on what is being offered, I just don't understand how the price for the package can be almost 8 times the cost of a standard 4-day badge.

Thus, my question. Has anyone actually made use of this VIG package (it wasn't around in 2005, and I don't know when it was introduced)? If so, did you feel that it was actually worth the price?

Cheers.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There are benefits:
Gen Con Indy 2012: VIG: Very Important Gamer

The biggest to me:
Hotel Registration
Each VIG gains access to our VIG housing block. The VIG block is reserved strictly for those in the VIG Program and is not part of the general attendee housing block. The earlier you contact the Housing Bureau or log onto the Housing Bureau's Passkey site to reserve your room, the more likely you will be able to get one of your top three housing choices.

You can then share the cost of the room.

The "swag" bag looked great last year from some pics I saw.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Yeah. I read the benefits from the site. The 10$ credit for tickets, the seperate room silo for boarding, the extra early hour on thursday in the Dealer's Hall, the lounge, etc...

As I work my way through that list, and mentally note what that may be worth, there is nothing I see that can be worth 540$. You still pay for your room, so whether there is any savings there compared to the standard housing block is unknown - but to make up this amount, you'd need around 100$ a night; your 70$ badge comes from in there (so I guess that's 470$ I'm trying to figure out); you still have to pay for your food; you still pay for transportaton; etc.

So are there any benifits that aren't listed, or are listed in such a way as to downplay their value?

I'm trying to understand why the price and if it would be worthwhile as opposed to a standard 4-day badge.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
If you are after something that is going to sell out fast getting in the dealer room and hour early is worth something. I've been in at that time and you have the place almost to yourself. I've picked up many books that sold out fast the first day and didn't have to wait in a line. I've had the opportunity to talk to publishers and writers before they get to tired and become sick of customers and or hung over. There is not cost that we can place on that that we would all agree on so it is up to you to decide if it is worth something to you.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yeah. I read the benefits from the site. The 10$ credit for tickets, the seperate room silo for boarding, the extra early hour on thursday in the Dealer's Hall, the lounge, etc...

As I work my way through that list, and mentally note what that may be worth, there is nothing I see that can be worth 540$. You still pay for your room, so whether there is any savings there compared to the standard housing block is unknown - but to make up this amount, you'd need around 100$ a night; your 70$ badge comes from in there (so I guess that's 470$ I'm trying to figure out); you still have to pay for your food; you still pay for transportaton; etc.

So are there any benifits that aren't listed, or are listed in such a way as to downplay their value?

I'm trying to understand why the price and if it would be worthwhile as opposed to a standard 4-day badge.

You just have to break it down:
70$ - Badge
No lines - pickup events in the lounge
200$ - Swag bag
Attached Hotel
Extra hour (and some specials from some of the dealers, understand they are trying to get more)
Free drinks & WiFi in the Lounge

First year I did it was just for the hotel. What you do, buy one VIG then Companion bagde(s) - you then split the cost of the VIG, say 70/30 or 60/40 or 40/30/30 and then split the swag bag and coupons!

If you are going by yourself, it may be a bit much.

frankthedm

First Post
BriarMonkey said:
As I work my way through that list, and mentally note what that may be worth, there is nothing I see that can be worth 540$.
Sometimes you pay just for the price for luxury options. Gencon would be a fool to NOT offer such package for those willing to fork over the dough.

How would you like to relax in a private lounge with a cool beverage, away from noisy halls and curious eyes? Avoid the long registration lines and pick up your badge or register for events at your leisure? Know that your hotel reservation for one of your three top choices is guaranteed? And have you ever wanted to get into the Exhibit Hall before the mad swarm descends? If this sounds appealing to you, check out the VIG Package Benefits and VIG Companion information below, and consider becoming a "Very Important Gamer"!

Seems pretty clear to me this is for those folks who want to feel they are in a higher social class than the unwashed masses*.

*wishes unwashed masses was just hyperbole.

Last edited:

BriarMonkey

First Post
Those all make a lot of sense, especially as I abstract it all a bit.

I can definitely see if you were going with another, or a small group, how that could end up being a good deal. And yeah, I can see that the extra hour can be worth a lot if you are looking for a limited availability item...

As it is just myself in attendance though (the wife isn't a gamer), I think this has helped me to understand that, at least for me, that extra money is better off being used for books and games and other bits.

As I have a budget, I guess I fall into the unwashed masses. But, I shower, so I guess I'm a washed unwashed mass? [chuckle]

Thanks all!

Alan Shutko

Explorer
The question is really, how much the intangibles are worth it to you? The benefits with a standard market value don't add up to it.

For me and a number of my friends, they're worth it.

VIG will-call saved us a lot of time last year and gave us a change to get to events rather than waiting in the will-call line, which was running at least an hour last year. The hotel block made it very easy for us to get the hotel we wanted without having to rush during prereg. Now that Indy has added so many hotels, it's definitely easier than it used to be, so that might be less important to you.

The lounge turned out to be handy, since it was centrally located and a good place to go, sit down and have a drink, check email, or meet up with folks. I often ran into my friends there without having to go looking for them.

There are several VIG-only event run in the lounge which are easier to get into than the general-access ones. For example, my friends got into some demos and book signing events which had been sold out for general access. VIGs also get some better seating for things like Killer Breakfast, so if you're dying to die, being a VIG is a good way to do it.

All this stuff might or might not be worth it to you. It is worth it for the 200 people who got it last year (selling out in 2.5 hours).

BriarMonkey

First Post
... It is worth it for the 200 people who got it last year (selling out in 2.5 hours).

Wow! That's pretty impressive.

I'm used to the housing block selling out that fast, but I guess, when you think about using it across 2 or 3 people, it follows. After all, Gen Con is vacation for a lot of people.

I've already got my hotel, and I always arrive in town at least the day prior, so picking up my tickets and such on Wednesday has never been an issue. Though, if one were coming in on Thursday or Friday, I could definitely see the draw so as to avoid the lines.

Yeah, for me and my situation, the standard badge is good.

Again, thanks all for your feedback.

Cheers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases