Here's to the Immortal's Handbook!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wanted to start a thread where we can, as fans of U_K's Immortal's Handbook series of books and web-postings, celebrate his work and talk about how we've enjoyed it in our games.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get an epic game together yet, mostly because the group I'm in now only formed about eighteen months ago (and since then, as we've had some campaign turnover, the highest anyone's gotten has been 12th level), and my group before that disbanded before the IH released.

But what about you guys? I know that a lot of people have posted their IH game stories in various threads, but this is the place to repost - whether as a summary or as a full-on re-telling - the tales of your epic games!

U_K sometimes takes flak for the pace of his writing, or the nature of writing something so high-level. I say, give him a shout-out tell him how much you've enjoyed his stuff!

Melanos

Explorer
I've only posted a few times, and I had to do so now. Thanks, Alzrius, for this idea. I've not had the chance to use the IH in any of the games I've DMed, but I have definitely enjoyed the concepts in both books (Ascension and Bestiary). I've even taken some of his concepts and toyed with extrapolations of my own to see how it would turn out. Anyways, I agree with Al that UK has taken a lot of flak for his pace (something UK recognizes), and even though I didn't move over to 4E as he did, I appreciate his effort in making high-level rules that are as solid as possible given the enormity of the challenge at such high-power levels. Here's to UK <raises a glass of whatever UK's favourite drink is>. May his dice always roll 20s, may his worshippers be faithful, and may whatever ruleset he uses be the one that works best for him. Cheers!

Belzamus

First Post
Well, for me, U_K's rules were so great that I never needed another set of rules, hence not following him to 4E. :p

I only ever ran two games with them, and neither lasted more than a single session, but they remain two of the most memorable experiences our group had.

Notable moments include a 50th level minotaur frenzied berserker being dealt more than 400,000 damage before his deathless frenzy wore off, played as him suddenly calming down, taking a moment to consider things, then admitting to himself "Wait a minute... I'm dead." *explodes into giblets*

Another involved one of the fighters smashing through a ten-foot-thick wall of pure orichalcum into a 96th level demilich's crypt, only to get immediately blitzed by the lich's death knight warblade body guard. Afterward, the demilich proceeded to enslave the party and make them rebuild his labyrinth they had just spent the entire session smashing their way through.

In another game, we had the party wizard respond to the appearance of 5 elder Hell Sires manifesting out of the sky by raising his hand, casting 5x split rayed, quickened, maximized, 10x empowered Disintegrate, and reducing them all to ash.

And, then there was the time the wizard got hit by a Force Sentinel's Fading axe and rolled a 1 on his save. Bad luck, that. He'd already been savaged by an Elder Unelemental earlier.

And, my personal favorite, when the party got to the end of our 100th level adventure and the overpowered NPC got hit by a deus ex machina, they had to fight the boss on their own. On the first round of combat, he Imprisoned the fighter, then proceeded to kill the rest of the party. Well, the fighter, not about to leave it at that, sundered the planet for 100,000 damage, which I ruled was enough to free himself, so he got out and ended up winning after a hard-fought battle.

Fun times.

I actually have a lvl 240 caster type who is in the process of trying to become a Demiurge and eventually a Time Lord. I've been running this same campaign for about 3 years now and it's such a surreal thing watching a character develop so much. It's awesome.

Regardless of what happens with the Immortals Handbook, or if it goes to 4th ed or never goes anywhere, it is still by far the most complete, and most interesting gaming system I've ever played. I'm continuing to use my IH stuff to this day and use it as my go-to source of higher plane/ epic level campaign stuff.

paradox42

First Post
As some here know, I already made a thread for this a few years ago. But some newer readers might not have gone back far enough to see it, and it's fair to post the link here.

Especially since I hate repeating myself, particularly on the Internet where it's unnecessary. ;)

Beefermatic said:
I actually have a lvl 240 caster type who is in the process of trying to become a Demiurge and eventually a Time Lord. I've been running this same campaign for about 3 years now and it's such a surreal thing watching a character develop so much. It's awesome.

Regardless of what happens with the Immortals Handbook, or if it goes to 4th ed or never goes anywhere, it is still by far the most complete, and most interesting gaming system I've ever played. I'm continuing to use my IH stuff to this day and use it as my go-to source of higher plane/ epic level campaign stuff.

Thanks amigo! :)

Its words like this that made all the hard effort worthwhile. I'm sorry I wasn't more productive and so forth but at least I managed to brighten up a few games along the way. ;)

Thanks amigo! :)

Its words like this that made all the hard effort worthwhile. I'm sorry I wasn't more productive and so forth but at least I managed to brighten up a few games along the way. ;)
It's appreciated brother! This character was Solarius actually, my wife's character that ended up being played all the way to level 6,000 crazy to think this was a decade ago.

Remove ads