Trying to Please Everyone - Some Musings

infax

First Post
The two most salient points of what we know so far are, I believe:
* Characters of different editions will be able to play at the same table;
* The dungeon master will be able to build the campaign's system like a player builds his character.

For that to be possible, I believe the system, at its core, will have to consist almost exclusively of the elements that are present in all editions of the game so far: ability scores, levels and classes. Almost everything else becomes modular rule sets that can be turned on or off according to the group's preference.

Skills will be, by default, just an ability check, like in 1st Edition. Perhaps, more elegantly, it will be an ability + level (or 1/2 level) check. On top of that, a couple of simple systems can be switched on: either a simplified skill system, with characters picking up a handful of skills at character creation and some more every few levels (like in 2nd and 4th editions) or a more elaborate system with points to spend every level. One way or another, the cap will be something like ability + level (or 1/2 level) +5.

Feats I don't see going anywhere, but it can be perfectly reasonable for people preferring a rules-light system not to use them. They are a really simple system to turn on or off. I prefer feats that have more flavor, like in 3rd edition, rather than being mostly a bonus with some flavor (or just a flavorful name) tacked on. But that's just my preference, I realize the game will work with any of the two options.

Save-or-die is another contentious point that can be easily switched on or off from campaign to campaign. Spells, class abilities ("powers" in 4e lingo) and feats that allow such results will be marked as such. If the dungeon master chooses to use those abilities, every player is allowed to use them (and some monsters will likely have similar abilities that will be switched on in that case). If not, they are equally unavailable to everyone. The only issue I see here is with names. Take Disintegrate, for instance: there will likely be two flavors of Disintegrate. In one case, if the target fails the save, then "poof" he is out of the game. In the other case, it causes massive damage and if it is enough to kill the target, only then "poof" he is out of the game. Now, if the spells will be called Definitive Disintegrate and Disintegrate or Disintegrate and Progressive Disintegration, I can't say.

For all of this to work, classes will have to be modular. Players will have to be able to pick up abilities as the character progresses in level. I believe it will be something between the Pathfinder and the 4e formats, which means a lot of freedom and a lot of choices. To accommodate players who prefer editions prior to 3e, simple pre-defined builds (with suggested class abilities from 1st to 20th or 30th level, whatever is the cap) can be offered. The group can impose that all PCs be built with pre-defined builds.

Saves are likely to be normalized, though. They may be rolled by the effect's target or they may be rolled against, that is easy to switch. However, I doubt 2nd edition-style "save versus wands" will be present. I haven't seen many people clamoring for those, anyway.

One issue I can't figure how they could handle is HP. Amounts and methods of defining them vary wildly from edition to edition. Even more than ability score generation. I have a couple of ideas, but none of them make sense enough in all situations.

Anyways, that would be a way to do it. And I believe it wouldn't be too hard for a full development team to do it. Anyone care to weight in?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases