What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 16 January 2012

Gaming Tonic

First Post
It has been a ridiculously busy week and we took last week off because what was up with D&D was obvious and overshadowed everything. This week Wizards gets right back at it, loading us up with all things Cormyr, a look into what's coming up the next few months, and a whole lot more. I actually know what is up with the DDI Virtual Table and the new edition but check back later this week for that. Get signed up for the D&D Playtest if you have been putting it off. I still have loads of information that I collected at the D&D Summit but can't tell you all of it just yet.

• Monte Cook is Looking at the Past and the Future in Legends and Lore. Some of you had an idea what Monte was up to with these articles but now you all know for sure. In this piece Monte explains where the game we love is trying to go and what hurdles we can all overcome to take it there.

[*]Elemental Magic: Heroes of the Elemental Chaos Excerpts by Bart Carroll shows you a glimpse of some of what you can expect in the new supplement. There is a massive list included of all the Known Primordials. I really enjoyed the part with the scholarly debate, but then again I love Greyhawk.

[*]January: In The Works by Bart Carroll starts off by telling you about changes coming to the D&D website. If you read on you can see what is coming up in the coming months like The Lords of Waterdeep Boardgame, The Dungeons & Dragons Experience, and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos.

[*]Mike Mearls lets you in on the big news in Charting the Course for D&D, Your Voice Your Game. He also makes public the playtest details and if you live in a cave and missed it here are the EN World announcements and news from the community and responses to the announcement. I told you big things were happening and you should keep reading.

[*]Backdrop: Suzail by Eric Menge in Dungeon 198 is a detailed description of the seat of power in Cormyr. The description of the city is quite edition non-specific, if you are paying attention and is capital as as an adventure setting. Information is provided on everything from nobles to nightlife. Several adventure hooks are also presented.

[*]Chris Perkins get Real Complicated in The Dungeon Master Experience this week. Chris gives his insight into using pre-arranged complications and unexpected complications in your campaigns. He even provides you with a handy chart to use to throw something at your players that they were perhaps unaware of and hopefully unprepared for.

[*]Cormyr Royale: The Royal Court of the Forest Kingdom by Brian Cortijo for Dungeon 198 details two different incarnations of the royal court. There is a lot of excellent information and an incredible looking chart of the succession of the royals of Cormyr. I think we may be getting a first glimpse at WotC's support for all the timelines in the Realms. EN World brought you the details about this here.

[*]Design & Development brings you Battle Map Bonanza by Christopher Perkins. The three new map packs that will start with the first release this month with Haunted Temples are the topic and you get a great look at the pieces and the work that goes into making them. These are the best value for an item I have seen in awhile and I can't wait to see them.

[*]The Official Errata and Rules Update for November and December were released last week. It is good to see the 4th Edition and the DDI tools still receiving this support with the news of the new edition last week.

Last edited:

Remove ads