What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

Anselyn

Explorer
They tried the D&D (no qualifier) thing with both 3e and 4e. It didn't stick.

I've been told this twice recently. It's just plain wrong.

The cover of the /4e PHB says "Dungeons and Dragons" in big letters. Which version of it do you have?
thumbnail.aspx

phb.jpg

As does the /3e addition by the looks of this.

So - show us a book with the brand name of the game being D&D for /3e or /4e.
Note: That is different from a D&D logo existing which is also used to mark WoTC products.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
"Dungeons and Dragons" should be on the cover.

People will call it 5e regardless, but first and foremost, the game is Dungeons and Dragons, and that's what we should call it.

Wizards seems to be going after new players as well as existing players. So just calling Dungeons and Dragons makes the most sense. I think sticking 5E or 5th edition on the front would likely confuse returning players.

LurkAway

First Post
Names like "D&D Final" and "D&D Ultimate" are tricky. What happens, say, 10-15 years later, when "D&D Final" becomes all bloated and outdated and the core and supplements need be updated again with rules errata, consolidation, etc -- would that next iteration be called "D&D Final Ultimate This Time for Sure Re-Unified Compendium"?

Brom Blackforge

First Post
The name "Dungeons and Dragons" is larger than just one edition. And no matter how all-encompassing they want this new edition to seem, it's still just one edition. The new edition needs to be called something other than just "Dungeons and Dragons" in order to differentiate it from the previous editions. My preference would be to stick with the naming convention that has already been established and call it 5th Edition. I know that's what I'm going to be calling it anyway....

drothgery

First Post
I've been told this twice recently. It's just plain wrong.
When I say 'it didn't stick' I don't mean that WotC started putting an edition number in the logo (they never did that), or even on the cover (though they did with 3.5 and TSR did with 2e). I mean that players never used D&D (with no edition number) to refer to 3e or 4e.

Tilenas

Explorer
Right from when I heard they were trying to get everyone aboard with this edition, I realized that the perfect name would be
Ultimate Dungeons & Dragons or UD&D.

It also makes sense from a marketing POV, so I guess there's a real possibility of that being the title in the end. If nit, my hope would be "Dungeons & Dragons: Owlbears, Owlbears, Owlbears, Bugbears, Dire bears". Anything better than this horrible "D&D next", which doesn't make any freaking sense.

Anselyn

Explorer
I mean that players never used D&D (with no edition number) to refer to 3e or 4e.

Of course they did. Are you saying no one ever said - "Do you want to join our D&D group?", "Do you fancy playing D&D this weekend?" They _always_ stuck in an edition reference after the release of /3e? ??

And, what I was saying - and still believe - is that WoTC could change the name to "D&D" and avoid the whole problematic Dungeons thing ...

It works for M&Ms. Did the M and M ever stand for anything? Does it matter if they did?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases