What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

migo

First Post
It isn't necessarily 5th edition, I'm not even sure 3e was correctly named as such. It was such a departure from AD&D2e that it's a different variation, rather than a different edition.

You've got OD&D which is Variation 1, AD&D which is Variation 2, BECMI/RCD&D which is Variation 3, d20 (3e/3.5) which is Variation 4, 4e/Essentials which is Variation 5, and this upcoming version would be Variation 6.

For V2, you've got 2 editions, (AD&D 2nd edition is properly an edition of the same game, given you could play with both editions and not have much trouble, and given the way editions are used for textbooks, 2eRevised would be the 3rd edition due to the layout changes). For V3 you've got 4 editions (B, B/X, BECMI, RC/WI), For V4 you've got 2 editions again, and V5 another 2 editions. Putting the upcoming game as actually being the 13th edition of the game.

Just calling it Dungeons & Dragons, and avoiding calling it 5th Ed really makes the most sense. If they succeed in their goal, I'd go with colloquially calling it D&D United/Umbrella D&D/etc so either UD&D or D&DU. If they fail.... who really cares?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Went with plain old "Dungeons & Dragons". Of course, that's assuming they actually meet their design goal of supporting every style of play. If for some reason they can't meet that goal, I'd rather they were honest about it and called the thing fifth edition.

weem

First Post
I'm a big fan of D&D: Generations, having suggested it a while back, and even recently creating a logo for it for fun...

dndgenerations1-1024x524.jpg

I wrote about why I thought this name was fitting last week for those interested.

Of course, many of us are Star Trek fans so we will think of TNG, but honestly, most words/phrases can make many of us think of something other than what it was intended to mean. It doesn't generally take long for that to go away.

That said, I do not expect them to choose this name, I just thought it worked and wanted to see how it "looked". With that said, Jon Schindehette (Sr. Creative Director at WoTC) mentioned in my post that he may "tuck your naming idea in my pocket for consideration", so you never know I guess.

One I don't see on the list that I think would also work well is "D&D Legends" (not sure if that has been mentioned by someone here yet).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I voted "no qualifier". Mainly because it gives everyone something new to complain about and argue over.

Also, I'd like to see there be a D&D core book that has the very fundamental basics and then EVERYTHING after that be "AD&D", as in it advances the system through modular additions. I think this is a vitally important marketing point. Doing it this way, they can focus on pushing nothing but the D&D core game. Literally forget about advertising anything else and put tons of money and legwork into promoting the core brand. People pick up the advanced rules without any need to advertise them beyond the website and a press release anyway.

This has several fundamentally important aspects inherent within the concept that are desperately needed to fuel the brand. First of all, it promotes ONE version of the game and everything else is considered an add-on of the player's choice. Calling all the new rules in 3.x 'core' was a huge mistake that was then taken to the extreme in 4e and was an underlying reason behind much of the backlash.

Second, it gives everyone an easy avenue to promote the game. Word of mouth and being introduced to the game via friends is a HUGE part of D&D and this has been severely curtailed by the divisions within the hobby. If we all share one common basic source that can be adapted after the fact, then we can all promote that one core product, regardless of our personal fetishes.

Third, it focuses the brand so that consumers know what to look for, what to ask for, what to investigate and gives them a recognisable icon to focus THEIR attention on. D&D has suffered over the years from a large amount of confusing products lines. New people are bewildered by their options. Introducing ONE game to them that later on can be modified as they wish based on their understanding of the game, is incredibly important in gaining new players to the hobby. DDI is great, but the amount of times I've had people stare blankly at me when faced with all their options, even with an Essentials character, makes this a prominent factor in people's take-up, in my opinion.

One D&D to rule them all; and a billion modular Advanced additions to divide and conquer them after the fact :)

drow

Explorer
Dungeons & Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons on the cover. everyone will call it 5e, but who cares.

alternatively, Dungeons & Dragons Aeofel.Elhromane.die.die.die
(wil is cool!)

Last edited:

Inferno!

Explorer
If they select "Dungeons & Dragons" then it is going to be called 5th ed anyway, just to distinguish it from others.
Yep.

I like Legacies.... and Legacies appeals to me the most among these options.
I kinda like Legacy or Legacies too.

How about Dungeons & Dragons Unity Edition (or Unification) ?

While I hope they can achieve their stated goal of unifying the editions, I have serious doubts. I am eager to see what they come up with.

Li Shenron

Legend
Title: "Dungeons & Dragons: Final Edition"
Subtitle: "No really, we mean it this time!"

Just call it "Dungeons & Dragons" on the front cover and put "5th edition" in large letters on the back cover.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases