What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

seti

First Post
D&D's new name

As long as the name isn't this, or anything resembling this, I'm cool.
I'd name it 'Dungeons and Dragons: Fifth Edition' out of respect for words.

Attachments

• D&Dnext_joke1.jpg
    D&Dnext_joke1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 91

erf_beto

First Post
If it's too much like videogames, Dungeons & Dragons: Origins, because Dragon Age was successful, right? ;)
But if it's too much anime, then it should be Dungeons & Dragons Z, which worked for Dragon Ball... ;)

ok, I'll stop crapping on this thread. :D

Anyway, I vote for no qualifier as well. It's ok to reference it as 5th edition though.

Anguirus

First Post
I'm glad to see others agree with me to CALL IT WHAT IT IS, the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It may not be the best marketing move, but it's the most honest move.

They have very ambitious plans for this game, but that does not guarantee its financial success or its legs in the long term OR its success in bringing all players of all editions together. Right now you have to assume that it won't be any more successful or universal or popular than 3E and 4E, which were the other big WotC rollouts. So in the future, having the fifth edition of D&D not called that will just create confusion among gamers.

On the other hand, if 5E is everything that they have hoped for, the name doesn't harm them. Many RPGs have rolled out more editions than D&D. The newbies and the grognards that they wish to attract won't have any trouble understanding that this is the most recent incarnation of D&D and they would like you to give it a shot. If 5E is the backwards-compatible edition, well done! But it doesn't mean that you have to give it some weaksauce marketspeak name.

Although, props for having "D&D Extreme" as one of the poll choices. That's kind of what I see in my head when I think of any title that's not just "D&D Fifth Edition." :angel:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
3e for the Rules-kings under the sky,
1e for the Dungeon-lords in their halls of stone,
4e for Monsters doomed to die,
One for the Mike Mearls on his dark throne
In the Land of Seattle where the Shadows lie.
One E to rule them all, One E to find them,
One E to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Seattle where the Shadows lie.

...clearly, it should be called "The One Edition." :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm glad to see others agree with me to CALL IT WHAT IT IS, the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It may not be the best marketing move, but it's the most honest move.

But it's not the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It's something like the 7th or 8th.

Brom Blackforge

First Post
But it's not the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It's something like the 7th or 8th.

As Obi-Wan Kenobi might say, that's true from a certain point of view. (Were the Basic D&D box sets different rules, or simplified versions of 1st Edition?)

The main thing, though, is that calling it 5th Edition would continue the naming convention that has been in effect since 1989 and the release of 2nd Edition. It would be confusing to have the edition that directly follows 4th Edition be called 7th Edition.

Brom Blackforge

First Post
By the way, I just noticed that the poll is actually asking what name should be on the cover of the new books. I think that's a different question than what the new edition should be called - which is what I thought the poll was asking when I voted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases