What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

patrakis

Explorer
I haven't read all the thread but personnaly, if there had to be a suffix to D&D, i would use the word CLASSIC.

Yep, D&D Classic. After a failure, there is nothing like going back to the classics.

Pat

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons - Your Dice Hate You Edition.

That's okay though - my dice hate everybody! All the time, every game, every edition....

The Auld Grump, and that is why I love them. :)

Azgulor

Adventurer
I voted Other.

The title should be "D&D: Do or Die Edition" or "D&D: Make It or Break It"

I say this b/c if the $50M "Core Brand" target is legit (and I think it probably is), this is D&D's last chance to reach that status.

If it does, it will become a core brand with the resources & yes, the revenue requirements to hold onto that title, budget, and staffing.

If it doesn't, one of two things are likely to happen:
1. D&D suffers additional decline as budget & resources are allocated to Core Brands. D&D continues to exist in some form but in a diminished form compared to 3e or early 4e.

2. Hasbro, which doesn't sell off intellectual properties, shelves D&D for a period of time with the intent of reinventing/relaunching it down the road.

My post has little to do with the game itself, btw. The modularity talk is intriguing, although I think right now people are assigning their own meaning to the tidbits we're hearing and the final version may differ significantly from those expectations. It could be a great toolkit or a complete mess.

That said, I think where WotC screwed up was trying to establish D&D as a core brand, rather than treating WotC lines in total as the "WotC Brand" (if such an option was even possible).

This isn't the game environment when D&D launched, nor is it when we had the doldrums of 2e and the implosion of TSR where 3e was viewed with great anticipation. D&D has more competition (in both media & direct competitors) than it did in either of those earlier scenarios. It could do everything "right", and still not reach the Core Brand requirements, thus triggering one of the two scenarios I've outlined above.

Hence, D&D: Do or Die Edition.

Last edited:

Matt James

Game Developer
If only half the people who post here on EN world worked for WotC, it might very well be the greatest brand ever with $1b in profits.

;)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
If only half the people who post here on EN world worked for WotC, it might very well be the greatest brand ever with $1b in profits.

;)

If half the people from here worked for WotC, they would've been sued, become bankrupt, possibly responsible for several murders, and would be currently on the run because of the massive fraud and embezzlement they pulled off whilst there; seriously, do you even read these forums?

Aeolius

Adventurer
As a Mac user who has no trouble with an OS named Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2, I think the public can handle D&D V. Perhaps WotC could use a similar tactic and use monster names for new editions. D&D: Mind Flayer? D&D: Beholder?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases