What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

Drowbane

First Post
Front Cover: Dungeons & Dragons
Spine: D&D 5e.

Only a noob is going to not recognize the new books when they come out as 5e (unless WotC makes them look like 4e books, which would be a mistake). So for all the noobs out there, and/or anybody who wasn't aware there *was* a brief 4e the books need to be clearly labeled so that people do not accidently buy acrossed editions.

Back in 2e I used to buy 1e books not knowing the difference... but then again those were backwards compatible and I never had an issue with it. But if I was new and bought 4e books that weren't useful with my brand new 5e... I'd be annoyed.

Edit: please nothing cheesy like "Ultimate", "United", or "Final". This is not the last edition of D&D to come out and it certainly is not going to do anything to heal the damage done by 4e. All they can do is make 5e worth playing and leave it at that.

darjr

I crit!
If half the people from here worked for WotC, they would've been sued, become bankrupt, possibly responsible for several murders, and would be currently on the run because of the massive fraud and embezzlement they pulled off whilst there; seriously, do you even read these forums?

oh but what fun it would be

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[...] I think the public can handle D&D V.
D&D V for Vendetta?
Azgulor said:
The title should be "D&D: Do or Die Edition"
Wouldn't that just make it "D or D" instead of "D and D"? Besides, we don't know if Do or Die will be in the new game yet... :)

They could go another route - letters instead of numbers.

We've already had BD&D (D&D Basic) and AD&D (1e) - why not call the new one CD&D, short for Dungeons and Dragons Complete?

Lan-"then again, they could call it Horses and Howitzers and we'd still call it 5e anyway"-efan

vagabundo

Adventurer
I voted Dungeons and Dragons.

But I would also accept Dungeons and Bears, because how often do you encounter a dragon anyway.

And I call it Dice and Monsters to all my little Nieces and Nephews.

SnowBlood

First Post
I vote for 5th Edition, which is what the majority of regular players will call it anyway and it will save some confusion.

D&D Next sounds terrible and if they ever make another version or splinter game, Next isn't really Next anymore. Something like D&D Flex or whatever they think is a new core concept for the game this time around; for instance, they could have called 3rd Edition "D&D d20 Edition" or called 4th Edition "D&D Powers Edition". Essentials was a pretty terrible name; don't do it again.

Kaodi

Hero
But it's not the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It's something like the 7th or 8th.

Exactly. This and the lesson of Final Fantasy is what I am going to stake my suggestion on.

Here is how I think the next edition(s) should be differentiated in 3 Easy Steps.

1) Just put the name " Dungeons & Dragons " in the proper place on the cover.

2) Figure out how many editions of Dungeons & Dragons there have really been (N).

3) Add a new product numbering scheme to one of the corners corresponding to the number of previous editions plus one (N+1), with three extra digits, such that the PHB is (N+1)001, the DMG (N+1)002, and the MM (N+1)003, and so on with every single product published. If later on there is a new revised edition, up the new PHB to (N+1)501, the DMG to (N+1)502, and the MM (N+1)503, and if there is a completely new edition (N+2)001, ...002, ...03, and so on.

For WotC's part, they should then just let the community decidedwhether to call " N Edition " or " N-thousand Series " (or any D&D Next, or any other name under the Sun) .

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases