What name would you like the next iteration of D&D to bear?

What name would you like to see on the cover of the new edition?

• "Dungeons & Dragons" (no qualifier)

Votes: 489 49.7%
  • "D&D Next"

Votes: 29 3.0%
  • "D&D 5th Edition"

Votes: 290 29.5%
  • "D&D 2013" (or 2014, or whenever)

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • "D&D Anniversary Edition"

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • "D&D Final"

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • "D&D Ultimate Edition"

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • "D&D Generations"

Votes: 34 3.5%
  • "D&D Extreme"

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • "D&D Legacies"

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 32 3.3%

r0gershrubber

First Post
While I'm sure the cover of the book will say "Dungeons and Dragons" as it always has, the new edition will require a unique identifier, and if WotC doesn't provide one the community will. People call pre-3E D&D things like "first edition" or "second edition" when necessary to communicate clearly even though they were never identified that way before.

I am somewhat inclined to think that even if WotC names the edition something like D&D Next it will still be widely referred to as 5E.

Dark Herald

First Post
I think the next name should be;

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: Basic 5.0
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: Advanced 5.0
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: Tactical 5.0

(the 5.0 doesn't have to be part of the name)

or for short DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: B.A.T 5.0

3 different versions to accomodate different styles of play but still being modular in design.

Last edited:

ProlificVoid

Explorer
All Editions, All Universes...

Being as I first encountered and used the concept itself waaay back when as a direct result of the game, I'm partial to something along the lines of:

Dungeons & Dragons Multiverse (/Multiversal)

It not only encompasses all editions, but all alternate universes, allowing for multi-genre play as well, which Gary Gygax and at least Rob Kuntz and Jim Ward (off the top of my head) considered to all fall within the umbrella term of "fantasy" in its literal sense.

Cases in point:
- Gary's Greyhawk campaign when the party was whisked away to the Starship Warden (Metamorphosis Alpha), wherein Jim Ward took over as DM for such.
- Re: The work on Castle Greyhawk: I recall reading something relatively recently by Rob Kuntz (Pied Piper Press), wherein he referenced this very concept of what constitutes "fantasy," and in that piece also referred to his work on "The Machine Level" of said Castle Greyhawk.
- Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
- Conversion info fairly galore in the AD&D DMG regarding firearms, etc.

Jasperak

Adventurer
I don't know if my vote has been mentioned yet; can a thread be TL;DR? From what little info I have seen, I think it's most appropriate title might be D&D WOTC. Maybe have a subtitle like: All the best 3e and 4e mechanics with an Old School Point of View.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Given that D&D 5e has 10 times as many votes as D&D Next, and plain D&D has twice as many votes as that, I think D&D Next is dead in the water. Assuming they listen to us. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases