Pathfinder 1E Plastickrack - Pathfinder Miniatures Edition

Quickleaf

Legend
Got the Wolfen Army Box for Xmas. Not only the best looking werewolves I've found but also the cheapest (at the close-out rates), albeit a little over-sized for D&D usage.

Sorely tempted to pick up the other army boxes, even though they're a little pricier. Are the knights from the Lions set the same size as the Wolfen? Or are they more usable at Medium-size scales in D&D?
The Lions all work well as medium sized 30mm scale. The cavalry are just slightly bigger than a Large D&D mini, and the sphinx goddess is huge. I just learned there are more for sale at miniaturesmarket, oolala.

Twowolves

Explorer
I got 2 bricks plus about half a brick in individual purchases so far. I have 34/40 from just this many (one of my missing minis is a common skeleton, and 2 are the uncommon elf wizard and snake), so the distribution is pretty good. I have not had one single mini be broken or off the base yet, but several were not securely held in their plastic cradle. I feel these are potentially more brittle than the DDMs, however, but I've yet to let my 4 year old really test that. I will note, however, that the hardness can vary within a single mini. Namely, the body of a mini is stiff, but the sword (which is NOT a separate piece) is flexible, so less chance of weapons snapping off through use.

The scale problems of the dire rat, troll and gnome are notable, but not as bad as some other prepainted minis initial releases. The people complaining about the sizes are comparing to DDM, which isn't really fair. These minis are designed around Paizo's illustrations and sizes, so as long as the sets are internally consistant, they should be ok. And that's the problem with the dire rat and troll. But Paizo has admitted the error for these and will correct them in future sets.

The "pc" figures are pretty good for prepaints, but not as good as the iconics from the previous release. Really, those first 4 set a pretty high bar, and the paladin is the only one of mine to come close. But the detail on some others is pretty remarkable, like the colored eyes on the medusa's big pet snake, or the beard and facial expression on the human ranger. The paladin has her holy symbol on her shield, and the goblins are downright awesome for prepainted minis.

In a week or two, I'll try adding some inks or a dip and see how well that improves the base paintjobs. If it is any improvement at all, it's a super-simple step that can produce a huge change in the quality of appearance in these minis.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Never had any problem with my Rackham plastics...

As for the Pathfinder minis, I like the ones I've seen, but I won't be buying any. At least, I won't buy any NIB: I've had enough of randomized minis; pretty much, I want to see what I'm buying.

As for the Pathfinder minis, I like the ones I've seen, but I won't be buying any. At least, I won't buy any NIB: I've had enough of randomized minis; pretty much, I want to see what I'm buying.

This is my great debat. Though with WotC making themed miniatures, I'm taking a wait and see approach (though I might buy some just as a sample)

Twowolves

Explorer
Though with WotC making themed miniatures, I'm taking a wait and see approach (though I might buy some just as a sample)

Also note that WizKids/Paizo plan on re-releasing minis in visible (non-random) "theme packs" as well. With just the 40 minis in this set, I can see "Undead" (zombies, skeletons, mummies, as well as a specter, a vampire and a lich were all in this set), "Orcs and Goblins" (2 different goblin sculpts in two paint schemes each, two different orcs, plus a half-orc barbarian in this set) and perhaps "townsfolk" (two different town watch minis, plus several of the PC minis work as generic folks, like the rogue and druid).

darjr

I crit!
I think stores have been given WizKids/Paizo's blessing to bust open the boxes and sell them that way. I think my FLGS will.

Quickleaf

Legend
Except for not havin enough?

What an outrageous consumer! ;)

You know with all the waste from Pathfinder's individually packed minis and sea of plastic, we could probably come up with a spinoff industry. Limited edition trash golems?

Jools

First Post
Working on my first minis set, it's pretty clear that things like scaling and plastic calibration are some of the most important aspects of the business, and it's always important to get the balance right.
--Erik Mona
Paizo Publishing

What is plastic calibration exactly?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases