Pathfinder 1E Plastickrack - Pathfinder Miniatures Edition

Holy Bovine

First Post
Yeah, this is probably my biggest concern. They seem brittle to me. Fine if you handle them somewhat carefully, but not as robust as the old D&D minis. I think I could have stepped on an old D&D mini and it would have been fine. Not so sure with the Pathfinder ones.

I feel the same. I only have a couple of these so far (Orc, Specter and Black Dragon) and the Orc & BD seem fragile to me. I know the old WotC minis weren't the best quality re: paint & sculpt but they sure could take a beating. I only have 1 mini that has broken over the years (a succubus that got torn from its base) although many more have been bent and stepped on.

Over all, superior plastics, but nothing compared to painting your own.

The Auld Grump

Also I will never understand why in every single thread talking about pre-painted minis there is always someone who says they can paint better looking minis yourself. Of course you can! Everyone knows you can do better yourself - that isn't the point of pre-painted minis. The time and effort involved in painting your own minis outweighs the time and effort of pre-painted minis by about a factor of 10 000. That is the point.

sjmiller

Explorer
Also I will never understand why in every single thread talking about pre-painted minis there is always someone who says they can paint better looking minis yourself. Of course you can! Everyone knows you can do better yourself - that isn't the point of pre-painted minis. The time and effort involved in painting your own minis outweighs the time and effort of pre-painted minis by about a factor of 10 000. That is the point.
For me, the point of pre-painted miniatures is the fact that I cannot paint them better myself. Allergies and an unsteady hand mean that I cannot paint them at all. So, instead of having a lot of unpainted minis on the table, I rather like having prepainted ones.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I feel the same. I only have a couple of these so far (Orc, Specter and Black Dragon) and the Orc & BD seem fragile to me. I know the old WotC minis weren't the best quality re: paint & sculpt but they sure could take a beating. I only have 1 mini that has broken over the years (a succubus that got torn from its base) although many more have been bent and stepped on.

There is likely a direct trade off between the detail of the Pathfinder minis and the durability of the D&D minis - I prefer detail over how sturdy the minis are. I assume that figures are fragile, and package them for travel accordingly.

It is because folks that like painting have an evangelical bent - we enjoy it, and think that everyone will enjoy it, if they just give it a try. No matter how many times we are proven wrong. :p

We do not view it as 'you get the figure but you have to paint it before use' - we view it as 'you get the figure to use in the game and you get to paint it too!' :D

And there is the car to take me to a concert. (How the heck did I allow myself to get talked into doing vocals for a punk band? I don't even much like punk.)

The Auld Grump

Imaro

Legend
BTW, In one of the many D&D 5e announcements someone mentioned a new WotC miniature line. Non random theme packs. Will be interesting to compare prices.

Are these the "Dungeon Command" minis, soon to be released for their new miniature battle game?

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth)

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr)

If so, it's hard to judge a comparison of the prices since the WotC sets come with extra stuff besides the actual minis like tiles, the rules, etc. At any rate they are $40 for a pack that contains 12 minis.

Personally I think if you play and enjoy their new mini game when it comes out then these will definitely be a better deal... but if you're just buying them for the minis then they are a little pricey. I'm also curious to see if there will be a different price scheme for large minis once a set of those are produced.

Aluvial

Explorer
Are these the "Dungeon Command" minis, soon to be released for their new miniature battle game?

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth)

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Product (Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr)

If so, it's hard to judge a comparison of the prices since the WotC sets come with extra stuff besides the actual minis like tiles, the rules, etc. At any rate they are $40 for a pack that contains 12 minis.

Personally I think if you play and enjoy their new mini game when it comes out then these will definitely be a better deal... but if you're just buying them for the minis then they are a little pricey. I'm also curious to see if there will be a different price scheme for large minis once a set of those are produced.

This seems like a re-release and also seems pricey. The names seem like old miniatures, especially in the Lloth set. I do like the idea though. Now... where is for 40% off?

Aluvial

NewJeffCT

First Post
This seems like a re-release and also seems pricey. The names seem like old miniatures, especially in the Lloth set. I do like the idea though. Now... where is for 40% off?

Aluvial

It does seem a bit pricey, but if it is 12 minis, maybe it includes one huge mini and two or three large ones?

Quickleaf

Legend
I was sorely tempted but I'm glad I resisted buying the Pathfinder minis. A friend recently bought a case and after jealously looking over his shoulder I can definitely say they are great looking minis of classic monsters. Especially those spiders and goblins. But when it comes down to value, I can find aftermarket D&D minis at half the cost or less of most minis in the Pathfinder set.

I picked up a bunch of Confrontation pre-painted miniatures that were close-out recently, and that quality definitely seems better than both Paizo & D&D. Unfortunately, they went out of business, I believe. Or at least no longer sell pre painted.
Yeah those Rackham minis are gorgeous, and put much of the DDM and Pathfinder minis to shame. For $80 (including shipping) I got the two preprinted boxes of knights and wolfen. They're made of a more brittle plastic unlike the virtually indestructible DDM. Rackham is no longer in business unfortunately.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Yeah - I will freely admit that the Rackham minis are head and shoulders above the Pathfinder minis in quality of paint job.

I think that the Confrontation minis were more expensive when they were new than the Pathfinder minis, but at closeout... yeah, much better value per dollar spent.

The Auld Grump

NewJeffCT

First Post
Yeah - I will freely admit that the Rackham minis are head and shoulders above the Pathfinder minis in quality of paint job.

I think that the Confrontation minis were more expensive when they were new than the Pathfinder minis, but at closeout... yeah, much better value per dollar spent.

The Auld Grump

Yes, they were definitely more expensive to start, and I still ended up paying like $75 (before shipping) for around 60 miniatures. However, 10 of the 60 were mounted knight types.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases