Pathfinder 1E Plastickrack - Pathfinder Miniatures Edition

NewJeffCT

First Post
Out of curiosity what were the other types?

It was various pieces of the Griffon army - 24 spearmen (3 groups of 8 each), demon hunters (guys with a pistol in one hand, sword in the other), a couple groups of monks, 16 or 18 riflemen, and a few "leader" types.

I was going to buy some Wolfen as well, but decided against it.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I appreciate all the comments, you guys. Keep 'em coming.

I too am a huge fan of Rackham, going back to when you couldn't get the old metal minis in America. Their prepaints are amazing. I use them extensively in my own games, and many of them are considerably better than I could accomplish with my own paint job.

But I will say this. After several sessions of repeated use, almost all of them are broken in one way or the other. Rackham plastics are considerably less durable even than most painted metal miniatures, and break ALL THE TIME.

Working on my first minis set, it's pretty clear that things like scaling and plastic calibration are some of the most important aspects of the business, and it's always important to get the balance right. I think it's possible that Rackham's minis went too far in the direction of high detail and fine painting, limiting their durability and practical game use.

As a gamer, I'm willing to put up with a little breakage now and again to avoid Flaccid Sword Syndrome. As a publisher, I want to work with WizKids to make sure the miniatures are as durable as possible. I _think_ we've got the balance pretty close, but time (and repeated play) will tell the tale.

--Erik Mona
Paizo Publishing

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
Erik - definitely agree on Rackham being fragile. I broke off several swords taking them out of the boxes after they were shipped to my house.

I'll definitely be careful with them while using.

I also remember how tough those original unpainted minis were to get - the Fiannas especially.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The line seems to be doing ok.

That just means that they misjudged the market and didn't print enough.
/snark off (We saw a lot of such comments about Wizards...)

I've got a case of these minis on their way to me. I'm very interested to see how they appear in the plastic. However, they're likely to take a bit to reach me (I sometimes hate being in Australia).

I'm really, really interested in seeing what minis get made in future. To be fair, I have most of the minis I need, but there are some types of minis that I'll be very interesting in acquiring...

Cheers!

Oryan77

Adventurer
As a publisher, I want to work with WizKids to make sure the miniatures are as durable as possible.

Just some feedback from someone that has opened a bunch of these boosters:

I had several of the minis break off of their base as soon as they came out of the box. I don't know how common this has been for other people, but I had this happen to about 4 miniatures. I also had a lantern break off of the hand of a Watch Guard. The plastic didn't "break" on any of these minis. It seems more like the pegs were not being held in good enough in their slots.

I don't know if that means using a stronger glue might help during production? I'm not that familiar with how they are created. But I thought it might be something you'd like to hear about since you popped in here. :)

Other than that, the quality seems really good.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
That kind of feedback is very valuable. I will pass it along to my contacts at WizKids, and encourage them to read this thread.

--Erik

Kunimatyu

First Post
That kind of feedback is very valuable. I will pass it along to my contacts at WizKids, and encourage them to read this thread.

--Erik

I purchased the Medusa (plus a few more coming soon) and the detail is quite good. I really like that the bases are rigid - I hated getting a bendy-based DDM, because it would wobble whenever I moved it.

However, the PFB minis do have one major flaw: there's no Froghemoth...

Rogue Agent

First Post
IYeah those Rackham minis are gorgeous, and put much of the DDM and Pathfinder minis to shame. For $80 (including shipping) I got the two preprinted boxes of knights and wolfen. They're made of a more brittle plastic unlike the virtually indestructible DDM. Rackham is no longer in business unfortunately.

Got the Wolfen Army Box for Xmas. Not only the best looking werewolves I've found but also the cheapest (at the close-out rates), albeit a little over-sized for D&D usage.

Sorely tempted to pick up the other army boxes, even though they're a little pricier. Are the knights from the Lions set the same size as the Wolfen? Or are they more usable at Medium-size scales in D&D?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases