Class/Multi-class option

Lordhawkins9

First Post
Back in 2E, there was an optional method to go about creating character classes that I think would make a great system for 5E.

They had a chart that listed out every ability in the game and assigned it a point total. You picked whatever abilities you wanted, added up the points and that number was used to determine how many experience points you needed for advancement.

Templates could offer quick builds for new players or those looking to jump right in. What to play a “Fighter”…here are your abilities, 53 points. “Mage”?...55 points. They could also be used for more advanced players who wanted to play a “Fighter”, but maybe added “Thief” skills. Find the extra skill you want, add it to the 53 the “Fighter” has…there’s your new character.

Multi-classing would be just as easy. What to start as a “Fighter-Thief”? Add up the abilities you want and you’re good to go. Want to start out just “Fighter” then add “Thief” abilities later on…just add those points on later and you have your new total for advancement.

Would you enjoy such a system?

Beolveig

First Post
Yes, but only if the issues present with 2e's method of handling this were fixed. Some of the combinations were ridiculous and the math didn't add up too well if memory serves me correctly. I had a player try to create this munchkin type character using the system and I had to veto it leading to some hurt feelings. I just couldn't allow him to have that overbalancing a character in my campaign as I felt it would be unfair to the other players.

Lordhawkins9

First Post
It certainly was not perfect. An improved system would be needed, but I liked the concept.

For example...nothing should be worth negative points. That chart had negative points assigned to things like "Must be Lawful Good", "Limited Magic items", "Can't eat Taco's". Stuff like that would only lead to Munchkin characters by racking up huge negative points and picking up powerful abilities without actually spending any points.

gloomhound

First Post
Yes, but only if the issues present with 2e's method of handling this were fixed. Some of the combinations were ridiculous and the math didn't add up too well if memory serves me correctly. I had a player try to create this munchkin type character using the system and I had to veto it leading to some hurt feelings. I just couldn't allow him to have that overbalancing a character in my campaign as I felt it would be unfair to the other players.

Why not make this system available only to the DM?

Zireael

Explorer
There was something similar for 3e... it was called Class Construction Engine IIRC, but it covered only the core classes.
But hey, such an engine would be great for 5e!

Remove ads