George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

To anyone whoever says they weren't bothered by the prequel trilogy, I send this link: Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace |

It is two videos 70 minutes in length total telling one person's opinion of why The Phantom Menace is a bad movie. It is funny, insightful, and somewhat NSFW. The first one is 30 minutes. He does the same thing for the other two movies. They are sometimes weird but generally correct.

My favorite part of the video is a pseudo man-on-the-street interview where he asks the MOTS "Without describing his costume, his looks, his role in the films or any actions he takes in the films, describe the character of Han Solo." The interviewees describe Han in various way: thief with heart of gold, ladies man, dashing scoundrel, etc. You can fill in your own descriptions quite easily, correct? Now try the same thing with Qui Gon Jinn. The best one of the MOTS interviewees came up with was "stoic".

But I'm not telling as well as the video does. They are "fun" to watch in a maudlin kind of way.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I'm an important member of the economy

To anyone whoever says they weren't bothered by the prequel trilogy, I send this link: Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace |

It is two videos 70 minutes in length total telling one person's opinion of why The Phantom Menace is a bad movie.
That sort of thing just makes me want to like the movies more. I've never changed my opinion of a movie from like to dislike (or hate) just because someone else said it was bad. But I have liked something more as a result of being told it was bad.

I believe this is part of the role I play as a member of the lowest common denominator. I'm the guy who likes all that popular stuff that people with more refined tastes think is crap. So when people keep telling me that something is bad and I shouldn't like it, then I start to like more. Perhaps it's out of some kind of pride out of being a member of the group that keeps hollywood in business. People like keep the millions of people in the movie businesses employed. I'm an important member of the economy!

Yea!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
That sort of thing just makes me want to like the movies more. I've never changed my opinion of a movie from like to dislike (or hate) just because someone else said it was bad. But I have liked something more as a result of being told it was bad.

I believe this is part of the role I play as a member of the lowest common denominator. I'm the guy who likes all that popular stuff that people with more refined tastes think is crap. So when people keep telling me that something is bad and I shouldn't like it, then I start to like more. Perhaps it's out of some kind of pride out of being a member of the group that keeps hollywood in business. People like keep the millions of people in the movie businesses employed. I'm an important member of the economy!

Yea!

So you're the one.

Then go watch the reviews and report back how it convinced you The Phantom Menace was good (that hurt to type). It's not like they are 70 minutes of "It's the suxxor. F-- Lucas." It is 70 minutes (well, 60ish minutes with 10 minutes of weirdness) of criticism that is backed up by logic and actual clips from the film. He doesn't just say the plot doesn't make sense. He explains why and in what ways it doesn't make sense.

And it's funny. So it's not a completely depressing 70 minute slog into boredom.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My favorite part of the video is a pseudo man-on-the-street interview where he asks the MOTS "Without describing his costume, his looks, his role in the films or any actions he takes in the films, describe the character of Han Solo." The interviewees describe Han in various way: thief with heart of gold, ladies man, dashing scoundrel, etc. You can fill in your own descriptions quite easily, correct? Now try the same thing with Qui Gon Jinn. The best one of the MOTS interviewees came up with was "stoic".

As much as I enjoyed those videos, the Han Solo comparison is a little unfair since we've had 3 movies to see his character develop compared to Qui-Gon's one. I only say a little unfair because the points about the clarity of the story and characterizations are still valid, just the use of Han Solo, arguably the most clearly defined character in the series, is too easy.

Also note that they've now finished reviewing the whole trilogy:
Star Wars |
The review trilogy feels like a saga on its own. :)
Yes, it does take a while to watch all six videos (but there is a storyline that kind of hooks you). (heavy emphasis on the "kind of" part.)

I didn't feel the need to point out the existence of the other reviews. People can click around and find things on their own. They also review some Star Trek movies. (I haven't gotten around to watching those.)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I didn't feel the need to point out the existence of the other reviews. People can click around and find things on their own.
Heh. That is so not my experience when dealing with the Internet. People can't even figure out there's a 'show more' button on YouTube. I went five years without noticing that Shlock Mercenary had forums. My mom thought Twitter only had one page, Lady Gaga's. Before the changes to the EN World forum layout I regularly noticed members who hadn't realized there was a front page with news. :p

Remove ads