WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

frankthedm

First Post
Classy. Good on you, Whizbros.
That depends on how much goes to the Gygax Memorial Fund.

"purchases of this book will help support the Gygax Memorial Fund"

Many times items sold with a charity sales pitch have very low amounts of money that actually go to the charity. So before I'll go "Yay WOTC!" over the charity angle I'm going to want to know how much of that price point is actually going to the GMF vs. how much is the GMF being used to justify the price point.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Maybe even a little cheaper. This inflation calculator seems to think that $48 in 1979 is the equivalent of $150 now!

Silly! You're looking through the wrong end!

The true 1st print MONSTER MANUAL I have still has a price sticker on the cover: cost, $9.00 US

In 2011 that'd set you back $31.23

I paid $15.00 for my DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE, but that was in 1983 or so. Cost today? $34.07.

PLAYERS HANDBOOK I think went for $12 back then. $37.39 in today's dollars.

So...right about in line with!

Stormonu

Legend

Silly! You're looking through the wrong end!

The true 1st print MONSTER MANUAL I have still has a price sticker on the cover: cost, $9.00 US

In 2011 that'd set you back $31.23

I paid $15.00 for my DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE, but that was in 1983 or so. Cost today? $34.07.

PLAYERS HANDBOOK I think went for $12 back then. $37.39 in today's dollars.

So...right about in line with!

That's about when I bought my 1E DMG/PHB (with revised covers).

Last year, I laid out about $80 for the Vampire 20th edition book, though it did have some updates (new art, updated text) - and my older copy only has 7 of the 13 clans so it was a (mostly) good buy. Considering it's likely to just sit on my shelf and collect dust between readings, I'm not going to fault anyone buying reprinted D&D stuff, at any price.

It's just I still have my 1E books and they're in great shape (though I bought another DMG, as my original's binding finally split - though it's still not yet had any pages fall out), so sadly I don't think I'll be buying a copy.

I'm happy for those who will get a chance to pick up fresh copies though.

Hmmm...I don't expect they'll ever do a 2nd edition reprint, do you think?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Hmmm...I don't expect they'll ever do a 2nd edition reprint, do you think?
Maybe the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook and Monstrous Manual (especially the MM), but does anyone really think the 2nd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is worthy of a reprint? It is by far the worst DMG of any edition!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Hm, will this let me get a nice new Demon Idol PHB? :)

Probably not since WotC says that the covers are revised and special.

A cool thing, WotC are hitting many of the right notes lately (very lately so to speak). I'm more excited about D&D Next, but this is a good and smart move.

Maybe some adventures collected in a slipcase as well? Tomb of Horrors, Village of Hommlet, Against the Giants, White Plume Mountain, stuff like that.

/M

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases