WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION], that's pretty much my sense of it. I'm still a bit surprised at so many "I own them already/won't play AD&D again, or will but don't need them/am buying a set or two of these" comments.

I am rather curious as to what the covers will look like. I'm guessing/hoping they get someone like Larry Elmore or Jeff Easley to do them. Covers done by Wayne Reynolds or William O'Connor or Todd Lockwood would be strangely ironic.

Roland55

First Post
Some people here and around the web are questioning this move and asking just how much is going to the memorial. Does that really matter? They are donating to the Gygax memorial! C'mon now.

This is great news. I can't wait to get a set or two--both as a consumer and as a completist.

I reject the cynicism.

Completely. Absolutely.

I'm pleased they did this ... period.

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't want to pour water over the excitement in this thread, but I'm honestly curious: why is this such a big deal to you? From a purely practical standpoint, I would guess that every single person who has expressed excitement about this already has these books (I do, and I haven't played 1E since, well, 1987 or so);
I don't own any of the core 1e books since I was a just a kid playing during the eighties and didn't buy em (though I did buy BECM, was gifted Rules Cyclopedia, and "inherited" a bunch of old modules which I really wish I could find now!). I didn't start really spending on D&D until 2e. But when I started college I gave away most of my 2e stuff to continue the "hand me down" tradition.

secondly, as has been noted, these books are available used for quite a bit cheaper on Ebay, and there is just no beating the old vintage covers (especially the first PHB with the statue and the 2nd DMG with the wizard opening the doors).
That's true, but I wouldnt be contributing to the memorial fund. Which I'd like to do.

But I'm just wondering why there is such excitement. I mean, I would think what 1E fans would really want is new material, an actual reboot of the line with ongoing support, even if it is only one product a quarter (now that would be really cool). Or, perhaps, more practical products that aren't readily available, like a compilation of 1E adventures as delericho mentioned.
I'm not a "1e fan". However I do remember the awesomeness of the 1e DMG and I've been coming across more and more references to it on ENWorld that are reminding me of just how much stuff was packed in there.

So really it's that DMG I'm excited for. There could be a luchador throwdown at my FLGS if someone tries to nab my copy.

Oryan77

Adventurer
So who is going to buy them up in the land of SOPA and then offer them for sale for those of us in the rest of the world?

I should be able to get them. I don't make much selling books thanks to Amazon, but if anyone outside the U.S. that can't get a copy wants some, just message me when it comes closer to the release and I'll reserve a copy for you. Shipping internationally can be expensive for books though.

It would be even more amazing if they released old adventures with updated maps. I'd buy the hell out of those just for some better drawn maps to use with miniatures.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I reject the cynicism.

Completely. Absolutely.

I'm pleased they did this ... period.

I think if someone's sole reason for buying these is to support the Gygax Memorial then yeah, asking how much of the purchase is going toward the memorial isn't being cynical. It's wanting to know that how much the money that you're contributing is actually going toward the cause.

I get that people are happy and excited about this but I don't think anyone is trying to crap in your cornflakes by asking this question.

Roland55

First Post
I don't want to pour water over the excitement in this thread, but I'm honestly curious: why is this such a big deal to you? From a purely practical standpoint, I would guess that every single person who has expressed excitement about this already has these books (I do, and I haven't played 1E since, well, 1987 or so); secondly, as has been noted, these books are available used for quite a bit cheaper on Ebay, and there is just no beating the old vintage covers (especially the first PHB with the statue and the 2nd DMG with the wizard opening the doors).

This seems to be a good move by WotC from a PR standpoint--this thread bears that out (even James M of Grognardia claims he'll get a set, his first WotC purchase since 2007). But I'm just wondering why there is such excitement. I mean, I would think what 1E fans would really want is new material, an actual reboot of the line with ongoing support, even if it is only one product a quarter (now that would be really cool). Or, perhaps, more practical products that aren't readily available, like a compilation of 1E adventures as delericho mentioned.

Again, I'm not criticizing the joy--I'm actually quite glad to see Old Schoolers excited about a "new" WotC product. I'm just trying to understand the specific/actual reason for the happiness. Is it because this gives a certain kind of respect for AD&D and the Old School community? Is it the new covers and the collectible factor? Is it the possibility that they might be re-printing more? Or something else?

While I can't speak for any other old-schoolers, for me this is purely an emotional response.

So much water has passed under the bridge since I first sat down to play this odd, new sort-of wargame. So many changes, so many editions ... and the passing of the founder.

I guess it's like getting back a little bit of my long-gone youth. Feels pretty good, on a purely emotional level.

frankthedm

First Post
For anyone balking at the price also remember that part of the proceeds are going to the Gygax memorial - kind of like buying a $20.00 t-shirt to support a charity.
:erm: What part?
kind of like buying a $20.00 t-shirt to support a charity.
Not everyone thinks paying $10 extra dollars for a shirt when only $2 of that winds up in the hands of the charity is worthwhile.

Roland55

First Post
I think if someone's sole reason for buying these is to support the Gygax Memorial then yeah, asking how much of the purchase is going toward the memorial isn't being cynical. It's wanting to know that how much the money that you're contributing is actually going toward the cause.

I get that people are happy and excited about this but I don't think anyone is trying to crap in your cornflakes by asking this question.

Oh ... don't misunderstand me. You have every right to ask how much is going to the Gygax Memorial Fund. Not a thing wrong with that. It doesn't lob a single drop of rain on my little parade.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases