WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Well, they did release the Silver Anniversary set with a reproduction of the Holmes rulebook in 1999. So they are releasing the original corebooks in 2012. So I guess these last 13 years have been 1977 all over again. To bad I wasn't yet in Kindergarten then or I would appreciate it more. I do have a complete set of 1st Edition books, I will have to think about it.

William Ronald

Explorer
This is a very generous action by WotC to support a great cause. It should generate some sales and I am tempted to pick up the books if I have money. (My old set fell apart ages ago.)

Jeffrey

First Post
Wow. Want. Lent a buddy my 1e books long ago after 2e came out and he lost them, and I've never gotten around to replacing them, so this is awesome!

Had a similar thing happen to me.

But my buddy made a mistake as years later, he asked me to be the best man at his wedding.

At the reception, in front of all of his family, all of the bride's family and assorted other guests, I stood and started off the traditional toast to the new couple with:

"Good evening. We are all here tonight to celebrate the newlyweds, but first things first; where are my D&D books, man?"

Most of the room got it. :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Maybe the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook and Monstrous Manual (especially the MM), but does anyone really think the 2nd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide is worthy of a reprint? It is by far the worst DMG of any edition!
What if they reprinted the Revised versions instead. The Revised 2E DMG was a much better book than the original.

However, if they were to do an anthology of the 1st Ed adventures, or a reprint of the "Rules Cyclopedia", that would be awesome.
If they followed this up with a reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia, I'd be ecstatic! B-)

And I think the demand for it would be just as high.

delericho

Legend
What if they reprinted the Revised versions instead. The Revised 2E DMG was a much better book than the original.

Really? I thought the text was supposed to be exactly the same, just with better art on the inside?

The problem with the 2nd Ed DMG was never the poor artwork. The problem was the almost complete lack of material worth having. IMO, of course.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Hmm... I'm currently running an AD&D game in my FLGS. I wonder how many of the players will want them? I wonder if they'll be available in Australia?

Cheers!

Meh, I've given up on buying from stores in Australia and order everything through Amazon. Now if WotC aren't selling through Amazon, that's an entire other story.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Am I the only one in believing this to be just an obvious, shamelesss scam??

"Hey, let's sell the old farts reprint of the 1ED stuff, because we must build up our public face again now that we're planning 5th edition!!!" :D :D: D

... of course, I'll end eating bait and switch and everything and buying them anyway, even if I did not ever play 1ED because I thought it was crap.

Or maybe, I'd buy if they sold to Europe, you damned!!! :rant:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases