WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

Falstaff

First Post
I am definately planning on getting copies of these. Who all will be running a 1e campaign, adventure, or one off when they get a copy?

Oh I surely am. Actually, I'm so excited that I convinced my players to allow me to switch our current weekly game from HackMaster to AD&D 1st.

dagger

Adventurer
Already am running a 1e and playing PF game. I don't care about the fund, I just wanted reprints for a long time and will get them.

Now give me a reprint of the UA, because that book has the worst binding in the history of book making.

Also this will the first money WoTC has gotten from me since before the Book of Nine Swords.

Last edited:

I'm surprised as the next guy with Hasbro doing this, I really thought they didn't care about D&D. I'm not all puppy-eyed about it, I get it's a extra cash flow on the side for them but I was just a little tot when 1st Ed came out and I'm a big softy. I will never play 1st Edition again but to have these in my home again, would give me a warm feeling inside. :)

Brock

TheObserver

Explorer
While I have a copy of quite a bit of 1st Edition stuff, I will most definately be getting a of copy or two of this reissue.

Thank you WOTC and most of all thank you Mr. Gary Gygax for creating a game that let this former kid be the Knight in shining armor.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Really? I thought the text was supposed to be exactly the same, just with better art on the inside?

The problem with the 2nd Ed DMG was never the poor artwork. The problem was the almost complete lack of material worth having. IMO, of course.
Well, the first 2E DMG was only 192 pages. The revised version is 256 pages. I'm not sure what was added/changed between the two and its been forever since I've read it; however, I have the revised version here in front of me, and I can tell you it is definitely a much more substantial book.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Well, the first 2E DMG was only 192 pages. The revised version is 256 pages. I'm not sure what was added/changed between the two and its been forever since I've read it; however, I have the revised version here in front of me, and I can tell you it is definitely a much more substantial book.
The only differences between the original 2e DMG and the revised black-cover version are the inclusion of the errata and the new formatting, layout and art. The actual content is the same. The higher page count is simply because of the larger font and increased white space. (The black cover PH had a similar increase in pages, from 256 to 320.)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Am I the only one in believing this to be just an obvious, shamelesss scam??

I'm sure you aren't the only one, but I think you're wrong.

Imagine a world in which nobody ever said, "Thank you." Many would say that those words are just a gesture. But, failure to give recognition is well-known to raise hackles - politeness and consideration are necessary social lubricants for humans. We need them in order to get along with each other.

So, it is a gesture. A well-considered, thoughtful gesture. And that, in and of itself, means something. The gesture indicates recognition that the target market could use some consideration and thought. Is deserving enough, in fact, to put together and execute a major project.

Do they stand to gain something from it? Sure. But so what? Their gain is not your loss! Isn't the world best when both sides stand to gain something from an action? We get cool books, and maybe a statue to a man we respect and give thanks to. They get back a little of their former standing with us, maybe enough so that more folks will watch going forward.

This is shameless, in that there is no shame to be found in it. It is a goodness.

frankthedm

First Post
A 25% size increase in a book is pretty easy to pull off with a few formatting tweaks and more art. IMHO the revised black cover 2E PHB and DMG art choices were a bit lacking at times.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases