WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In 1974, the world changed forever when Gary Gygax introduced the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The legacy of his innovative ideas and the extensive reach of his powerful influence can be seen in virtually every facet of gaming today.

To help honor his work and his memory, WotC has created limited-edition reprints of the original 1st Edition core rulebooks: the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide. These premium versions of the original AD&D rulebooks have been lovingly reprinted with the original art and content, but feature an attractive new cover design commemorating this re-release. Available in limited quantities as a hobby channel exclusive in North America.

Your purchase of this monumental book helps support the Gygax Memorial Fund—established to immortalize the “Father of Roleplaying Games” with a memorial statue in Lake Geneva, WI.

Cover art will be available soon. The retailer solicitation PDF contains the following:

Player's Handbook
Release Date: April 17, 2012; Format: Hardcover; Page Count: 112; Price: $34.95; ISBN: 978-0-7869-6243-3

Dungeon Master's Guide
Release Date: April 17, 2012; Format: Hardcover; Page Count: 240; Price: $34.95; ISBN: 978-0-7869-6241-9

Monster Manual
Release Date: April 17, 2012; Format: Hardcover; Page Count: 128; Price: $34.95; ISBN: 978-0-7869-6242-6

Last edited:

OnlineDM

Adventurer
The PDF seems to be a solicitation that WotC is sending to retailers, asking them to carry these items for sale. It seems to be for the general retail audience.

And I expect it to be HUGE! I'm a player who really hasn't played anything other than 4e, and I am totally pre-ordering these as soon as I'm allowed to do so. It sounds like these are fancy versions of the original books ("premium reprints"), which I'd love to have copies of.

This is so very, very encouraging to hear from WotC. Maybe they'll actually have some success in bringing people together! And it benefits the Gygax Memorial in some way - how cool is that?

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Wow, this was not something I was expecting, but it is many ways awesome.

But $45 for the DMG and $35 for the PHB? I'm glad I kept my books, and in good shape.

I've blown worse than $120 on worse things, heck that could be a bar tab one night when I want to do shots. I might buy two sets just to have a loaner set.
I'll gladly buy these reproductions, if only to show WotC there is an older gamer market like myself out there.
The giving to the Memorial Fund is just an added bonus in my book.

To Wizards, I say good on you.

Obryn

Hero
This is just awesome. I still have my 1e books, and have even used them fairly recently, but if I can afford it I'd love to have a new copy to support the Gygax Memorial.

-O

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases