AD&D 1st Edition WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints - Page 22
  1. #211
    Game Developer
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Matt James's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    757
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Silver ENnie WinnerI Defended The Walls!I Defended The Walls!

    Block Matt James


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRTroy View Post
    Gary Did More. Simple as that.
    Quoted for truth. Gary took the game and made it an international success. Without Gary, this website and debate would not exist.

  2. #212
    Member
    Defender (Lvl 8)



    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Port Moody, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,028
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block FitzTheRuke


    Friend+
    I haven't played 1e since 2e came out - I'm always moving forward, for good or ill - but this could be cool.

  3. #213
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Algonquin, Illinois 60102
    Posts
    70
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Jeffrey


    Friend+
    My communities:

    Okay, don't jump all over me here, I am just thinking out loud.

    The owner of my local game store has told me that he is worried that WotC will soon be discontinuing support for the Encounters program in stores. He's going to the convention in a week or so and will know more.

    It just occurs to me that if this is so, the fact that WotC has gone to great pains to limit the distribution of the books to only game stores could be something that has been done to soften the blow over the loss of Encounters.

    I'd like to be able to discount this thought just on general business principles, but I've got to admit that I've long since given up trying to figure out this business.

  4. #214
    Member
    Defender (Lvl 8)



    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Port Moody, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,028
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block FitzTheRuke


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Okay, don't jump all over me here, I am just thinking out loud.

    The owner of my local game store has told me that he is worried that WotC will soon be discontinuing support for the Encounters program in stores. He's going to the convention in a week or so and will know more.

    It just occurs to me that if this is so, the fact that WotC has gone to great pains to limit the distribution of the books to only game stores could be something that has been done to soften the blow over the loss of Encounters.

    I'd like to be able to discount this thought just on general business principles, but I've got to admit that I've long since given up trying to figure out this business.
    I own an LGS and out of all my many concerns, this is not one of them. WotC seems to understand at this point that getting the game played in stores is important to their growth. We may see 5e playtesting taking the current Encounter's program's timeslot for awhile, but I don't see how that equates to discontinued support.

  5. #215
    While it's totally my opinion only, discontinuing encounters would not be a smart move for them -- at least this year, anyway. Also, when 5E is eventually introduced, they're going to want as many demos of it as possible to get people exposed to it.

  6. #216
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

    Dice4Hire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    5,123
    Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block Dice4Hire


    Friend+
    Hmm I just looking through my storage for my original 1E books and cannot find them

    These just moved several steps op on the want list

  7. #217
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    499
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Zustiur


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by dagger View Post
    Now give me a reprint of the UA, because that book has the worst binding in the history of book making.
    Really? I find that hard to believe. My copy of the Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition rulebook fell apart within about 2 hours of opening. Is UA that bad?

  8. #218
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    w_earle_wheeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    832
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block w_earle_wheeler


    Friend+
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Zustiur View Post
    Really? I find that hard to believe. My copy of the Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition rulebook fell apart within about 2 hours of opening. Is UA that bad?
    I don't know about how it compared to all RPG books in general, but among the hardbacks for the 1e era, the UA was notorious for its poor binding.

  9. #219
    Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    MerricB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waubra, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    13,094
    Reviews
    Read 11 Reviews
    D&D Adventurer's LeagueGreyhawkD&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

    Block MerricB


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by w_earle_wheeler View Post
    I don't know about how it compared to all RPG books in general, but among the hardbacks for the 1e era, the UA was notorious for its poor binding.
    Both Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures have terribly poor bindings; my copy of UA fell apart within days and had to be rebound (thankfully my father knew a book-binder).

    Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Musings - reviews, session reports, play advice
    The Great List of D&D 5E Adventures

  10. #220
    Only in stores in North America......?
    Europe plays D&D too....

+ Log in or register to post
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. AD&D 1E and 3.5E Premium Core Rulebooks Cheap on Miniature Market
    By Callahan09 in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Tuesday, 14th May, 2013, 09:12 PM
  2. When Will and When Should WotC Release 4th Edition?
    By William Ronald in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: Saturday, 6th September, 2003, 09:46 PM
  3. WotC's Announcement re. the Revised Core Rulebooks
    By Morrus in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Tuesday, 10th December, 2002, 01:56 AM
  4. [WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?
    By Caliban in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: Friday, 6th December, 2002, 06:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •