WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

Jeffrey

First Post
Okay, don't jump all over me here, I am just thinking out loud.

The owner of my local game store has told me that he is worried that WotC will soon be discontinuing support for the Encounters program in stores. He's going to the convention in a week or so and will know more.

It just occurs to me that if this is so, the fact that WotC has gone to great pains to limit the distribution of the books to only game stores could be something that has been done to soften the blow over the loss of Encounters.

I'd like to be able to discount this thought just on general business principles, but I've got to admit that I've long since given up trying to figure out this business.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, don't jump all over me here, I am just thinking out loud.

The owner of my local game store has told me that he is worried that WotC will soon be discontinuing support for the Encounters program in stores. He's going to the convention in a week or so and will know more.

It just occurs to me that if this is so, the fact that WotC has gone to great pains to limit the distribution of the books to only game stores could be something that has been done to soften the blow over the loss of Encounters.

I'd like to be able to discount this thought just on general business principles, but I've got to admit that I've long since given up trying to figure out this business.

I own an LGS and out of all my many concerns, this is not one of them. WotC seems to understand at this point that getting the game played in stores is important to their growth. We may see 5e playtesting taking the current Encounter's program's timeslot for awhile, but I don't see how that equates to discontinued support.

Henry

Autoexreginated
While it's totally my opinion only, discontinuing encounters would not be a smart move for them -- at least this year, anyway. Also, when 5E is eventually introduced, they're going to want as many demos of it as possible to get people exposed to it.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Hmm I just looking through my storage for my original 1E books and cannot find them

These just moved several steps op on the want list

Zustiur

Explorer
Now give me a reprint of the UA, because that book has the worst binding in the history of book making.
Really? I find that hard to believe. My copy of the Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition rulebook fell apart within about 2 hours of opening. Is UA that bad?

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Really? I find that hard to believe. My copy of the Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition rulebook fell apart within about 2 hours of opening. Is UA that bad?

I don't know about how it compared to all RPG books in general, but among the hardbacks for the 1e era, the UA was notorious for its poor binding.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I don't know about how it compared to all RPG books in general, but among the hardbacks for the 1e era, the UA was notorious for its poor binding.

Both Unearthed Arcana and Oriental Adventures have terribly poor bindings; my copy of UA fell apart within days and had to be rebound (thankfully my father knew a book-binder).

Cheers!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases