WotC to Release 1st Edition Premium Core Rulebooks Reprints

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
OMG. Diaglo might buy something from Wizards again. Wow!

Good for Wizards promoting the memorial fund. This is very classy and really does show good will to mend fences in a still split community.

Hm, I thought Diaglo was an Original D&D only, no supplements even kinda guy...who knows, maybe he will buy a set up and find out what he's been missing out on for all these years! :D

HRG

First Post
Despite owning several copies of the originals, I'll certainly buy a set (or two) of these, both to contribute to the memorial and to support the idea of reprinting older material in general. Great move on WotC's part (although limiting them to North America seems questionable).

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
For the non-event organizer/store owner, how would one come by a copy of the original PHB, DMG, and MM? When I clicked through the links, it seemed these books were not available for the average joe. Perhaps I'm wrong on this. If so, please enlighten me.

This would make a perfect gift for my brother who will be moving within the year. We started playing together with first edition. In fact, I still play with him and his family to this day (4e nowadays). It will also compensate for years of skipping out on his birthday/christmas presents.

Hey, you've never given me a gift, either. It'd make the perfect compensation for that, too! <cough,cough> <holds out hand while looking away all maitre'd-like>

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Despite owning several copies of the originals, I'll certainly buy a set (or two) of these, both to contribute to the memorial and to support the idea of reprinting older material in general. Great move on WotC's part (although limiting them to North America seems questionable).

Testing the waters my man, testing the waters...! The more folks buy the bigger the chance these'll go on to see full reprints!

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
That's about when I bought my 1E DMG/PHB (with revised covers).

Last year, I laid out about $80 for the Vampire 20th edition book, though it did have some updates (new art, updated text) - and my older copy only has 7 of the 13 clans so it was a (mostly) good buy. Considering it's likely to just sit on my shelf and collect dust between readings, I'm not going to fault anyone buying reprinted D&D stuff, at any price.

It's just I still have my 1E books and they're in great shape (though I bought another DMG, as my original's binding finally split - though it's still not yet had any pages fall out), so sadly I don't think I'll be buying a copy.

I'm happy for those who will get a chance to pick up fresh copies though.

Hmmm...I don't expect they'll ever do a 2nd edition reprint, do you think?

Hey man, no big fan of the 2e here BUT never say never! There's a lotta love for the '89 D&D in them thar hills. This is the plum bob, the test hull, the X-1 for WIZARDS OF THE COAST - these sell out and the sky's the freakin' limit.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Probably not since WotC says that the covers are revised and special.

A cool thing, WotC are hitting many of the right notes lately (very lately so to speak). I'm more excited about D&D Next, but this is a good and smart move.

I wonder if the new covers will be callbacks to the old covers? How cool would that be?

Maybe some adventures collected in a slipcase as well? Tomb of Horrors, Village of Hommlet, Against the Giants, White Plume Mountain, stuff like that.
THAT would scratch my itch right there I tell you what...!

'course that'd be like 4th and 5th copies of some of those modules for me!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases