[OT] Amazon just offered me $30 of!

johnsemlak

First Post
I just got an offer in my mailbox from Amazon--30$ off my next purchase. The catch is I have to sign up for an Amazon credit card, and use that card for the purchase.

My reaction is, $30 off means potentially two more D&D products, so it's hard to pass up. I don't mind applying for the credit card (I'm pretty good about managing them--I don't run up large credit card bills). And I presume I can cancel the card right away anyway. Though, the card might be good actually, as it would allow me to build up points and be able to buy stuff for free.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of any other 'catches' that I haven't thought of. I'm pretty gullible about these things, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'll probably go for it. As I said, $30 off in the current tight economy sounds good.

Any thoughts? Also,anybody else get the same offer?

Last edited:

cofbaron

First Post
Read ALL the fine print. A couple months ago, a friend of mine signed up for a credit card for Best Buy (a huge store that sells computers, TVs, appliances, stereoes, etc.). He didn't buy anything, but got a $100 "activation charge" on his account, which he ended up having to pay. Just be careful something like that doesn't happen to you.

Cecil

Darklance

First Post
I got that offer as well. While the 30 bucks is always nice the amount of award points you get for purchases makes is barley worth it IMO. Maybe if they upped it then I'd consider it. As it is I'd rather use a card that offers a reasonable cash back award or points towards airlines or hotels.

Last edited:

Balgus

First Post
cofbaron:
He didn't buy anything, but got a $100 "activation charge" on his account, which he ended up having to pay. Just be careful something like that doesn't happen to you.
Yeah- that happened tome too. But I caught the fine print before I signed up for the CC. I gave the guy a stern lecturing and then stormed out (after they validated my parking of course).

Enforcer

Explorer
As long as

a) there's no annual or activation fees

and

b) you pay your credit card bills in full, on time

What do you have to lose? Get the card, get the $30, and then either cancel it or keep it in a desk drawer waiting for more special offers.

TalonComics

First Post
lol... Man, now they're offering 30 bucks for signing up for credit cards? I guess it depends on what the interest rate is and all that.

Personally, there's only one place I get my game books and it's right below. ;)

~Derek

Utrecht

First Post
The only other potential issue that you need to consider is the impact that another credit card has on your credit rating. While it has been a couple of years since I have dealt with this, I do know that the greater the amount of outstanding credit you have vs. your earning can degrade your credit.

So if you are borderline credit-wise you may want to pass this one by. However, if your credit is fine and it meets what the Enforce mentioned above - there is really little little impact.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases