Keep your iPad

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post

Thread: Keep your iPad

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Transbot9
    My communities:

Keep your iPad

This here's my tablet. HP tc1100, refurbished. Touch screen? What the flumph do I need a touch screen when this sucker sports a Wacom digitizer? And with running XP, the "app" library is pretty darn huge.

Sure, the max I can get with battery life on this is about 2 hours. And, uh, XP's handwriting input kinda stinks. And it's bigger and heavier. Still, though, the closest thing on the market for the price I got this would be a special type of EEE PC. It has been tested with Windows 8 Dev edition, and runs it smooth. Depending on model, I think these early slates were over $3,000 at the time (with a current value of around $300). Sucker runs with an efficiency rarely found in many lower end notebooks, keyboard is detachable, and it has a menu that lets me turn off bluetooth, wifi, quickly adjust screen brightness, and can be customized to do all sorts of things.

Current tablet selection (android and mac) has very, very few models that will do what I need a tablet to do. I figure that is about a year or two away, maybe 3, before they make a tablet that would be worth me upgrading to after this one.

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Ignore Dannyalcatraz
    My communities:

I feel ya!

There have been many "advances" in computers that seemed like backwards steps to me, too.
    IAAL...and an MBA. No, really!
    Metal School Founder; Campaign Ideas; my 3.X Databases: The Monk, The Martial Arcanist, Aquatic Ideas, The Psychonomicon

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Transbot9
    My communities:

Get this - my tablet above? Wireless B. But it's wireless B before every electronics manufacturer used firmware to depower wireless G in all the mobile stuff to conserve battery power (you'd think they'd at least switch to N for most of the new stuff by now), so it connects at longer ranges and has faster data transfer to and from my wireless N router.

Kinda sad, really.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Banshee16
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Transbot9 View Post

This here's my tablet. HP tc1100, refurbished. Touch screen? What the flumph do I need a touch screen when this sucker sports a Wacom digitizer? And with running XP, the "app" library is pretty darn huge.

Sure, the max I can get with battery life on this is about 2 hours. And, uh, XP's handwriting input kinda stinks. And it's bigger and heavier. Still, though, the closest thing on the market for the price I got this would be a special type of EEE PC. It has been tested with Windows 8 Dev edition, and runs it smooth. Depending on model, I think these early slates were over $3,000 at the time (with a current value of around $300). Sucker runs with an efficiency rarely found in many lower end notebooks, keyboard is detachable, and it has a menu that lets me turn off bluetooth, wifi, quickly adjust screen brightness, and can be customized to do all sorts of things.

Current tablet selection (android and mac) has very, very few models that will do what I need a tablet to do. I figure that is about a year or two away, maybe 3, before they make a tablet that would be worth me upgrading to after this one.
    Are you aware ASUS will be releasing an EEE Pad Transformer Prime that runs Windows 8?

Banshee

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore Transbot9
    My communities:

Yes. But the question is whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade the hardware as well as the software when the time comes. I have a tendency to prefer sizable leaps when I upgrade. I don't want something just as good or only slightly better in a smaller package.

• + Log in or register to post