The Defining Adventure Modules for each Edition

I think 2E modules were strong on setting and role play, but tended to get mired in heavy handed storytelling. So you had modules like The Created where the GM where NPCs had full script immunity and many of the scenes were overly stages and out of the player's hands. I still think 2E modules are my favorite, but you do have to navigate around some of the railroading in them.

On that regard, I still can't remember a module more frustrating than Adam's Wrath. To me, it's still a 70-page guide on things you shouldn't do in a good adventure... :(

Cheers,

On that regard, I still can't remember a module more frustrating than Adam's Wrath. To me, it's still a 70-page guide on things you shouldn't do in a good adventure... :(

Cheers,

Adams wrath had a lot of good elements you could pull and use (the fleas of madness as the barons estate was great) but it suffered from a lot of the issues you find in modules from that period. But it is pretty easy to work around a lot of it. There were also some continuity issues there if I recall. Ship of Horror was simliar. Pieces of it were excellent to port into your own adventures but running it atraight through was a bit strange. One area where many Ravenloft adventures suffered was the hooks. SoH had a prettyblousy hook.

Castles Forlorn boxed set on the other hand was a great module, which resembled Feast of Goblyns by providing a lot of setting material to explore.

Remove ads