D&D 5E Which of these settings do you want to see for D&D Next?

Which of these settings should be supported by 5E?

• A brand new setting

Votes: 100 48.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 45 21.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 104 50.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 53 25.6%
  • Eberron

Votes: 88 42.5%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 92 44.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 115 55.6%
  • Mystara

Votes: 53 25.6%
  • Nerath (Nentir Vale)

Votes: 46 22.2%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Planescape

Votes: 94 45.4%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 50 24.2%
  • Other

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Poll closed .

MortonStromgal

First Post
For fully flushed out settings I think you have to do
Greyhawk
Forgotton Realms
Eberron
a low-fantasy setting where magic is rare (most people have never seen a spell let alone a wizard)

Then for lite settings (one core book) I think you need to do
Birthright
Dark Sun
Planescape

For adventure series only settings I think you need to do
Dragonlance
Ravenloft

Then I think you need some barely detailed sandbox setting. That just has a starting point and some ideas on where it could go.

A'koss

Explorer
My favorites have always been Greyhawk & Planescape. But having run Iron Heroes campaigns for a couple of years, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a new low-magic setting.

Greg K

Legend
My choices

Birthright
Darksun (original boxed set)
Dragonlance
Forgotten Realms (1e Greybox and FR 1-16 with 2e deity product detail for clerics of the deities)
Greyhawk (go back to Amedio Jungle as described under the Barbarian in 1e Unearthed Arcana)
Mystara (With the Known World Gazetteers. Please, no tortles)
Ravenloft
Other: Council of Wyrms, Kara Tur, Hollow World, Maztica

Don't care about Eberron, Ghostwalk, Nerath, Planescape, Spelljammer, or other listed settings.

However, I should have also chosen "new setting". Agood low magic sword and sorcery setting would be good

Last edited:

Mokona

First Post
The setting contest that produced the Eberron Campaign Setting (and generated 11,000 entries!) also produce two other finalist entries that were fairly fleshed out. As far as I know Wizards of the Coast has never released any details about those other two settings.

I'd like to see those two settings published.

I'd also like to see another Setting Search contest. That rocked! And it produced a setting that has withstood the test of time.

I experienced an almost unbearable wave of nostalgia upon being reminded of Mystara. Good grief, many things about that setting made no sense, but it is imprinted upon my childhood. Some fairly original stuff in it, too!

I voted Other for Al-Qadim - by preference, divorced from the Realms and made its own thing.

S

Sunseeker

I'm down for seeing any and all of them return. Though to be honest I rarely use pre-made settings, I enjoy making my own. However, I'd rather Wizards didn't waste their time and money re-inventing the wheel and republishing existing settings in a new format. I'd rather see them develop new settings and possibly reformat a FEW of the more popular older ones, but overall just provide a guide on how to translate previous edition settings into 5e.

It would save time for players and allow Wizards to avoid publishing a hundred "redone" settings which a dedicated player could probably have translated to the new edition anyway.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The setting contest that produced the Eberron Campaign Setting (and generated 11,000 entries!) also produce two other finalist entries that were fairly fleshed out. As far as I know Wizards of the Coast has never released any details about those other two settings.

I'd like to see those two settings published.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that WotC took the best parts of those two settings and integrated them into Eberron. I could have been just a rumor, but if it is true, I doubt we'll ever know which parts of Eberron were from the other two settings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases