D&D 5E Which version of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most? (poll version)

Which version(s) of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most?

• OD&D

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • OD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • AD&D

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • AD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 69 39.2%
  • BECMI

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • BECMI with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 49 27.8%
  • 3rd Edition

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 74 42.0%

• Poll closed .

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Which version would you like 5th edition to resemble most? I've included quasi-editions as well, that would strive to keep the feel of a given edition but would modernized that edition by using the unified mechanics of d20 games (ascending AC, d20+bonus=skill, ability and attack rolls, etc).
Also, I've made no differentiation between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, various versions of Basic D&D, 3rd edition and 3.5, and 4th edition and Essentials... because they're pretty much the same game at their core.

1] OD&D
2] OD&D with unified, d20 mechanics
3] AD&D: 1st or 2nd edition
4] AD&D: 1st or 2nd edition with unified, d20 mechanics
5] BECMI D&D
6] BECMI with unified, d20 mechanics
7] 3rd Edition: including 3.5 and other games derived from it
8] 4th Edition: including Essentials

Aeolius

Adventurer
There are those who would disagree that 1e and 2e are the same game. ;)

As for 5e, I say keep the core concepts but make it something new, equally befuddling to players of all prior editions. That way there would be no "Ha! 5e is more like 4e! I win!" or "What? 5e isn't like 3e? Waaah!". Unite those who would engage in edition wars, by giving them a common target.

Then release a comprehensive Conversion Manual and be done with it.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I'd vote for "none of the above" if I could...

take the best from all of them and create something new. Trying to emulate too much from any one version will only repeat that version's mistakes (and they all have their fair share of those).

Deadboy

First Post
Since the poll asked what I'd LIKE it to look like, I choose the most self-aggrandizing option, which is to make it look like 4e. However, I think in reality it'll look a lot like BECMI with 3e and 4e add-on modules to taste.

Jack7

First Post
I voted 4, 6, 7, but I'd like to see a good mix of things from all, and I'd like to see some totally new things, as well as some old things improved.

Overall I lean more towards AD&D but I wouldn't want to see it stop there.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Since the poll asked what I'd LIKE it to look like, I choose the most self-aggrandizing option, which is to make it look like 4e.
That's the point of the poll... to see what edition you'd like to see 5th edition draw from/resemble the most. Even though I don't dig 4th edition, I realize that it has some innovative design elements that could make 5th edition a better game.

Mengu

First Post
Other/5e.

I don't want it to look like any previous edition. I want it to be a step forward, not a step back or a repeat of things past. As such, I would like to see the new version build on previous experience, but be new, and have its own character.

I don't want to look at it and think to my self, wow they were really forcing the mechanics for this bit to be more like 3e even though it doesn't fit and looks completely out of place.

Maybe I don't particularly care what edition it looks like. I want it to be easy and intuitive, and I want it to work smoothly and fast.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I voted AD&D with unified d20 mechanics and Fourth Edition, but I don't think that's quite accurate.

What I want is BECMI with AD&D multiclassing, unified mechanics, 3.X class features, and then strong elements of 4e-- the skill system, at-will powers for each class, and ritual magic.

Remove ads