D&D 5E Would you buy a D&D Next Beta Playtest Rulebook?

Would you buy a D&D Next Beta Playtest Rulebook?

• Yes

Votes: 48 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Only if the price was right

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Poll closed .
S

Sunseeker

No. I'd download one and give it a look, maybe even be tempted to run a quick game with it, but I don't believe in paying for the ability to be a beta-tester.

I'd also be worried I might like/hate it too much and not want it no matter what changes they make later.

was

Adventurer
no...I'd preview it if it was online and they wanted feedback, but I'm not spending money on an unfinished product

GSHamster

Adventurer
I read the question as WotC giving everyone two choices:

1. Download free PDF
2. Purchase print versions for nominal cost

So you can either print it yourself or purchase a pre-printed copy from a gaming store.

Under those circumstances, I'd probably download the PDF for a read through, but buy a print version if I'm going to use it in a game.

I certainly don't see that plan as objectionable.

jbear

First Post
No, I wouldn't pay for a playtest product of any company of any sort.

I'm expecting to be sent a pdf of the rulebook (beta) at some stage so I can ... test it. If I had to buy it. No way. If buying was optional, I wouldn't be interested. pdf is just fine.

Oni

First Post
I feel like a playtest document should be mutable enough and go through enough revisions to make selling print copies impractical. If i wanted a hard copy for my use, I just want to print something out I could slap in a D-ring binder and wouldn't feel bad about making notations in, or if a revision or addition came out I could swap things around without difficulty.

Consonant Dude

First Post
If WotC sells it to me as a Beta draft, I'll be relatively interested at a low price but that seems to me like a missed opportunity.

If they don't sell it as just "Beta Rules" but rather as "getting involved in the creation of the next edition", than interest will raise considerably and, depending on the conditions, they can even ask a premium for it.

Some publishers have started playing around with such concepts. Kobold Quarterly uses patronage, for instance. I think some gamers would be willing to spend a decent amount to get access to content quicker, get the opportunity to talk to the designers, get to have a little more say in the design, etc... all the way to getting limited edition copies of the final game.

I'd consider it if it gave a discount for the final product.

But really, as someone said above, a web document seems to make more sense.

Remove ads