Monks at mid and high level, how to build them

Morrius

First Post
I'm currently working on a Monk of the Sacred Mountain build that uses Dragon style to buff damage and allow me to take Elemental fist. I'm up to 10th level in my plans, but not sure where to go from there.

Two extra attacks at your highest bonus make taking Medusa's Wrath a no-brainer for a 10th level monk. The problem is how to use it, since you have to be attacking an opponent who is either dazed, flat-footed, paralyzed, staggered, stunned, or unconscious. I've been trying to think of the best ways to do this, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Staggering Fist. At 12th level, Stunning Fist can instead stagger for 1d6+1 rounds.

Shattered Defenses. Using Dragon Ferocity, your critical hits leave the target shaken. Unfortunately you need to take the fairly useless (for a monk) Dazzling Display feat too.

Critical Focus-Improved Critical-Staggering Critical. While the pre-reqs are a damage increase, you can't get Staggering Critical until 19th level.

Dazing Assault. Also straightforward, but that -5 to hit sucks.

What do you think, sirs?

Are there also any other feats that are indispensable for a mid-high level unarmed monk?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Starting at level 11 when Monk has +8 BAB, I think every monk pretty much should start loading up on the other "fist feats" in the APG. Touch of Serenity, Punishing Kick..those feats. A monk qualifies for all of them at level 11, and while they weren't granted by his class/archetype and thus get extra options or bonuses (like how your stunning fist can stagger), you're still a monk. Which means you get each of those feats 1/day per level, not 1/day per 4 levels. And while you can't use Stunning Fist more than once/round, nothing prevents you from flurrying with Stunning Fist, Touch of Serenity, Punishing Kick, Elemental Fist, and Perfect Strike all in the same turn. :)

Also check if your DM will allow the as-printed Cloud Step in APG. That gives you infinite air walk speed at level 20. Paizo thought giving near-epic monks at will teleport 11 levels after wizards could start doing it was broken, and nerfed it to cap at 50 ft, much less useful (since you can't end your move in mid-air).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases