DDI Virtual Table Beta Tour and Future

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
So, and not trying to be snarky here but, if you're not running or playing 4E there's no reason to want or use this right?

If the main attraction here is to use the character builder in conjunction with this and the character builder only generates 4E characters then this is pretty much useless to anyone else.

There's no reason to look at this if you're already using D20Pro or Fantasy Grounds especially if you're not running 4E. Just needed to clarify...

EDIT: and you can't load up your own maps? Really?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I've always been interested in VT but I have a stable group of players so it hasn't really been a necessity for me to go this route.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
So, and not trying to be snarky here but, if you're not running or playing 4E there's no reason to want or use this right?

If the main attraction here is to use the character builder in conjunction with this and the character builder only generates 4E characters then this is pretty much useless to anyone else.

There's no reason to look at this if you're already using D20Pro or Fantasy Grounds especially if you're not running 4E. Just needed to clarify...

The VT (and DDI) was built around 4E, so it is very optimized to running 4E on it. Other editions of D&D will be more difficult to make fit, and RPGs that aren't built around the d20 system will be very difficult to make fit.

EDIT: and you can't load up your own maps? Really?

As for the maps, my suspicion (completely WAG to be honest) is that they are worried that if they allow importing of maps, then they open the door to the illegal sharing of digital copies of maps. Not just their own, but any RPG company that has ever created a map. I also suspect they are looking at a microtransaction-based model for the VT eventually, which would allow the purchase of maps to be attached to an account.

Last edited:

Gaming Tonic

First Post

You can easily use the maps and the dice roller, initiative feature and such with any game. You can pull off other editions of D&D using the device. Much of the tool is visual and the die roller can be manually adjusted up and down to allow for whatever might come up. This is an easy tool to use. The maps have the same look as Dungeon Tiles and are easy to build. That would be a good reason to use the table in my book.

I suggest using a quick session of the D&D Virtual Table so that you can judge for yourself.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I am seeing if I can get more access keys to the VT that I can give out. I had 10, but gave them all out already to people who were interested in trying it out and looking around. As soon as I get more, I will post back in here or in the 4E forums with a thread.

Gringoire

First Post
MapTool from rptools.net does all and better than this. and it is "programmable" with macros. Somebody did collects of macros to have a complete framework for each game that you could imagine (i did one italian 4e framework).

falcarrion

First Post
It is nice to see them keeping the project going. But the lack of importing will hurt them in the long run.
With Maptools the cost of using is free. You can import maps create your own tolkens, macros etc. I also have an app for my Ipad that will let me log into Maptools during a game.

Alarian

First Post
It is nice to see them keeping the project going. But the lack of importing will hurt them in the long run.
With Maptools the cost of using is free. You can import maps create your own tolkens, macros etc. I also have an app for my Ipad that will let me log into Maptools during a game.

What app is that? I use MapTool and would love to have something like that on my iPad!

Gaming Tonic

First Post
I have twenty five beta codes. Send me a message and how many you need for your group and first come first serve. Will check messages in one half hour.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases