Poison Availability

IronWolf

blank
Sorry - it kills me to have too much specific discussion in the General Discussion thread. In six months when I wonder what he talked about in regards to poison I will find myself not wanting to sift through lots of pages to find it. I think it makes it easier to have these in dedicated threads for later searching and browsing.

So - with that said....

jkason asked:

"Does LPF have any special availability rules for poison, or is it available as mundane / masterwork items are?"

People have replied:

Artur Hawkwing said:
From SRD:

No other affliction is so prevalent as poison. From the fangs of a viper to the ichor-stained assassin's blade, poison is a constant threat

So I'd think it pretty readily available if you knew someone to buy it from.

glasseye said:
No special rules that I remember. While it does make some sense to me to have to roll for availability, weaponry & alchemical items (acid, etc.) that are just as dangerous don't have a roll. People tend to have different attitudes towards poison, though. It could go either way, imo. What do others think?

Qik said:
I'd vote to have to roll, personally; it seems both rarefied and below-the-radar enough to warrant it. Just my 2 cp.

And I will be back later to throw in my 2 coppers, right now - air hockey before IronPup goes to bed.

IronWolf

blank
I'm torn on the topic. The SRD quote strikes me as more poison in general, including natural threats that have poison. As GlassEye says though we let alchemical items and such be available without a roll.

With that said I think I lean towards there being a roll for it. Perhaps it is an item the Mystic Pearl dabbles in through clandestine connections in small quantities. So sometimes when you show up it is on hand and a deal done in the back room. Other times, there isn't any, but he puts in the word with their shadowy connections to get some.

Just my 2 coppers.

Qik

First Post
With that said I think I lean towards there being a roll for it. Perhaps it is an item the Mystic Pearl dabbles in through clandestine connections in small quantities. So sometimes when you show up it is on hand and a deal done in the back room. Other times, there isn't any, but he puts in the word with their shadowy connections to get some.

That's how I feel.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I would support the having to roll for poison availability. Most poisons are not generally openly sold; even the nonlethal poisons wouldn't be heavily visible or advertised. For the Mystic Pearl, I could see some of the nonlethal poisons that simply incapicitate or slow down an opponent being mixed among the potions occasionally, and everything else being a "might be available upon request from the backroom" sort of item.

IronWolf

blank
I will check back to add an official vote, I just want to see if there is any discussion prior to casting an official vote. At the moment I lean towards, yes poison needs a roll for availability.

jkason

First Post
Thanks for moving this, IW. I thought I was just missing a rule, but since there's a real debate involved, splitting helps much.

I'm fine with rolling availability, as the fluff of it absolutely makes sense to me. I don't imagine anyone's got 'Ye Olde Poison Shoppe' signs on on the street. :)

Question, though: I noticed in trying to look the availability up on the wiki, we allow Alchemists to craft poisons / alchemical items as an apparent exception to the 'no crafting' rule. Are they the only class with that available, or would another character with ranks in craft (alchemy) or whatever applies to poisons be able to do the same (at full cost, of course).

Not sure I'd waste the skill points on it, mind, but figured I might as well get that sorted at the same time, since it seems relevant?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Thanks for moving this, IW. I thought I was just missing a rule, but since there's a real debate involved, splitting helps much.

I'm fine with rolling availability, as the fluff of it absolutely makes sense to me. I don't imagine anyone's got 'Ye Olde Poison Shoppe' signs on on the street. :)

Question, though: I noticed in trying to look the availability up on the wiki, we allow Alchemists to craft poisons / alchemical items as an apparent exception to the 'no crafting' rule. Are they the only class with that available, or would another character with ranks in craft (alchemy) or whatever applies to poisons be able to do the same (at full cost, of course).

Not sure I'd waste the skill points on it, mind, but figured I might as well get that sorted at the same time, since it seems relevant?

Alchemists have several specific class abilities related to Craft (Alchemy). Removing the crafting aspects of those abilities would severely weaken the usefulness of Craft (Alchemy) for a character and replacing them with something else appropriate would be rather difficult. So we opted to let those remain with the caveat that there isn't a price break for the crafter. No other class has abilities tied to crafting so no, no other character can craft poisons.

However, it was decided that crafting is more of a role-playing decision/aspect of character development so if you wish to say that your character crafted poison, even without ranks in Craft (Alchemy), you could. You'd still have to roll availability if we decide that's necessary (and it looks like we will).

jkason

First Post
Alchemists have several specific class abilities related to Craft (Alchemy). Removing the crafting aspects of those abilities would severely weaken the usefulness of Craft (Alchemy) for a character and replacing them with something else appropriate would be rather difficult. So we opted to let those remain with the caveat that there isn't a price break for the crafter. No other class has abilities tied to crafting so no, no other character can craft poisons.

However, it was decided that crafting is more of a role-playing decision/aspect of character development so if you wish to say that your character crafted poison, even without ranks in Craft (Alchemy), you could. You'd still have to roll availability if we decide that's necessary (and it looks like we will).

Works for me. I just didn't remember the discussion on Alchemists, so was curious about the exception. Like I said, it's unlikely I'd invest in the crafting; I've already had to do without a couple skills I thought might be useful / relevant for his concept (will likely stagger those as he levels). But am contemplating some level of poison use (though that's a whole extra set of rules I'll have to get straight, lol).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases