D&D 5E When I role-play in 5E I like to ...

What kind of role-play do you enjoy?

• I like to talk uninterrupted

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I like to engage in debate

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • I like to interview the DM

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • I like to be asked questions

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I like to provoke the DM

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I don't see the relevance of this question

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Poll closed .

Frostmarrow

First Post
Are you the kind of gamer who like to hold a monologue, keep a dialogue, interview or do you rather be interviewed? Or maybe are you the guy who just like to provoke a reaction and run away?

Or do you disagree completely with this division?

Tallifer

Hero
Please explain your division and categorization.

When I roleplay, I just speak in characters according to what makes sense for character to say and do in any given situation. If he needs clues and answers, it is like an interview I suppose. If he needs to persuade, it is a debate, friendly or otherwise. When he makes a speech in front of the troops or embellishes his wizardly spells or bardic songs or warlord shouts or knightly battle cries or paladin's prayers, I make a brief monologue or bon mot.

The only one I can rule out is provoking the dungeon master. (Although my character will happily provoke other part members if they are annoying enough.)

Frostmarrow

First Post
I don't know if there is a division. Hence the poll. But my thesis goes like this:

1. Players who like to hold uninterrupted monologues. They read letters out loud, describe their character and the way their spells look. They like exposition and public speaking. Wizards, Clerics. Knowledge skills. "Look at me!"

2. Players who enjoy the dynamic of a dialogue. They speak with the other players, trade items and if the party has an off night they head for the nearest pub. Fighters, paladins, rogues, bards. Social skills. "What do you think?"

3. Players who are inquisitive and like to explore. They search the room, map the dungeon and often drive the progress. They like to establish facts and are less likely to care for opinions. Rogues, wizards. Exploration skills. "How high is the wall?"

4. Players who don't necessarily like to take the initiative but still wants to answer questions. Some of them want someone else to describe how cool they are. Rangers, druids, avengers. Awareness skills. "20 - success!"

5. Players who like to push the envelope. They take an obvious red herring and run with it, they interject inappropriate comments in others' dialogues and they kick in the door while the others search. Rogues, Wizards, Fighters. "I pick the guard's pocket!"

6. Players who are a little bit if this and a little bit of that.

I enjoy all of the above but if I have to pick one it would be the monologue inclined dude.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I like to do all those things, depending on the situation in-game.

And I don't understand the relevance of the question...:confused:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
To add to the chorus, at any given time my answer would be situation- and character-dependent.

Lan-"what are words for, if no-one listens any more"-efan

ferratus

Adventurer
I would also say that all of these things seem relevant to what I'll do depending on what's going on in the game.

Where is the option for "I do all of these as its necessary to advance my character's goals?"

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It really depends on the character.

If I'm playing a blowhard rogue or fighter, then yes, I'm going to talk alot.

If I'm playing the bookish mage, then I'm probably more likely to listen and/or ask the DM questions, in and out of character. "Do I know this?" "I have this skill, does this tell me anything?" "I'm from this country, do we know something these other PCs wouldn't?"

If I'm playing a paladin (something in almost 30 years of play I have never challenged myself with) or a fanatic cleric or even a warlord (if I played 4e), I might be prone to lengthy "inspirational" monologues and give little care for other characters' opinions.

So I answered, well, all of your options except the "I don't understand" one.

It all just depends on the character concept I have and how he/she grows in play.

--SD

Dice4Hire

First Post
BTW, it would be "would like to" as 5E does not exist yet.

Overall I cannot make much sense of this poll, so I declined to vote.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I voted 2 & 3, but I expect there will be some of 4.

If I talk and talk and talk without break, then that's a character thing. I expect to be interrupted.

And I don't go out of my way to provoke the DM. Just like I don't try and screw with other players. (Well, maybe a little in fun in game, but there are in game repercussions for that too.) :)

Frostmarrow

First Post
Conclusion

A lot of people don't see the relevance of the division. Probably because they are willing to participate in the game on any terms. Those who do prefer one playstyle over others are willing to fill at least two "roles". I draw the conclusion that this division is too vague to form the basis of what flavors classes should have.

Thanks to all for participating! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases