DDXP Begins Today!

possum

First Post
And so, Keep on the Borderlands enjoys its fifth iteration (including Encounters and Hackmaster).

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
[MENTION=22260]TerraDave[/MENTION]

Without knowing anything about the mechanical implementation of what it will look like, and how close it will match what I envisioned in the other thread, logically it makes sense to de-emphasize ascending bonuses. It allows you build a world where your basic orc is still relevant several levels later.

It allows you to make a game that is super compatible with all prior editions. So much so that with minimal conversion you can run Keep on the Borderlands or classic Tomb of Horrors, or you can shift gears and run through a Paizo AP, or slap on the minis rules and run the 4e Madness at Gardmore Abbey, all with 5e PCs. Thats an amazing degree of flexibility and power.

GSHamster

Adventurer
I was following some live-tweets of the seminar, and they kept referencing "three pillars" when talking about classes.

Can someone explain what these pillars are?

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I was following some live-tweets of the seminar, and they kept referencing "three pillars" when talking about classes.

Can someone explain what these pillars are?

Combat, Exploration, and Role-Playing--the three key pillars that cover about 90% of the game experience, and that they want to really get right and make sure all classes can participate in to some extent.

(The other 10% is probably niche modules like crafting, mass combat, dominion rulership, and so forth.)

Falstaff

First Post
Well, damn. After following the live tweets of the seminar I'm not all that excited about D&DNext. A DM that only wants to run a basic game using only the core (like me) with players that want complex, mini-based combat just won't work and I have no interest in such a game. Sucks, I was hoping for something different. Oh well. :confused:

OchreJelly

First Post
I think it was "roleplay", "combat", and "explore". Lots of good insight in those tweets / stream, but nothing too concrete. I'm really interested in seeing this modular approach in action.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Well, damn. After following the live tweets of the seminar I'm not all that excited about D&DNext. A DM that only wants to run a basic game using only the core (like me) with players that want complex, mini-based combat just won't work and I have no interest in such a game. Sucks, I was hoping for something different. Oh well. :confused:

I'm not sure how you got that. They said nothing about mini's that I recall, and if you don't want the complex modules used in your game, don't allow them. I don't see how that's changed.

mudbunny

Community Supporter

I don't think the DM and the players wanting to run/play two dramatically different styles of play is a problem that can be solved by D&D. Heck, I don't think that is a problem that can be solved by *any* RPG system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases