DDXP Begins Today!

Deadboy

First Post
Yeah see, they're losing me by the minute. But, to be fair, I'm sure I'm not their target audience.

You probably are, as WotC has pretty much stated their target audience is everyone who has played D&D, ever.

Thing is, I don't understand why content that will make other players happy should be making you unhappy in what is being touted as a modular game, especially when its the height of simplicity to just say, "Yeah, that class? Not at this table."

Though that would be silly of you because Warlords ROCK.

Kurtomatic

First Post
How hard is it to ignore a class you don't like? We've been doing that for years (decades!). :p

Including "best of hits" from all editions means, that if there's an edition you don't like, you can count on Next having something you don't like in it. Everyone's supposed to get a bone, and pretty much by definition, we won't all like all of them.

paladinm

First Post
I just seem to view Warlord as a fighter with leadership skills. A knight is a fighter with riding and weapon skills. Why the heck does it need to be a separate class?? Same thing with a "noble".. I never liked that as a class name even in Star Wars.

Falstaff

First Post
You probably are, as WotC has pretty much stated their target audience is everyone who has played D&D, ever.

Thing is, I don't understand why content that will make other players happy should be making you unhappy in what is being touted as a modular game, especially when its the height of simplicity to just say, "Yeah, that class? Not at this table."

Though that would be silly of you because Warlords ROCK.

I'm not unhappy. WotC can make any version of D&D that they want and I'd still be happy. I will just keep playing AD&D.

I guess I'm selfish, but if the core basic of this new edition isn't super simple with just archetype classes and the four classic races, then I won't be involved. I see the word Warlock or Tiefling anywhere? I'm out. I'm not unhappy. I'm just going to play a different game.

But again, I don't expect WotC to cater to my specific desires.

Wormwood

Adventurer

Back in my AD&D games, I loathed the monk and never allowed one in my campaign. Still a damned fun game and I didn't mind the wasted page or two.

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Actually, vis a vis the Warlord, I have a theory that it isn't the class at all, but like the noble, a roleplaying classlet for those who want more combat leadership options attached to their existing class.

In other words, I'm guessing that the Warlord has become a 4e-style theme. So I'm predicting 5e fighter warlords, but also wizard warlords, cleric warlords, and so forth.

If that is the case, it means that the warlord is less a class, and more a character archetype for bossing people around. Would that turn the frowns upside down for those that don't like the warlord if my theory is true?

That would be really cool.

ferratus

Adventurer
I'm not unhappy. WotC can make any version of D&D that they want and I'd still be happy. I will just keep playing AD&D.

I guess I'm selfish, but if the core basic of this new edition isn't super simple with just archetype classes and the four classic races, then I won't be involved. I see the word Warlock or Tiefling anywhere? I'm out. I'm not unhappy. I'm just going to play a different game.

Frankly, I think your ideal 5e is being printed in April. It's a limited run though, so make sure you reserve your copy.

GreatLemur

Explorer

I absolutely agree that the core game ought to be dead simple (and thus, in many ways, "classic"), but that's for the sake of the poor, bewildered new players. I figure we veterans can figure out which modular bits we need to add to play the game we want. It seems unreasonable to write the game off for allowing options which aren't to your taste.

That said, I certainly understand that any new game is going to have to offer something better than the game you're already happy with in order for it to be worth your time and money. I just hope you give it a chance to prove its worth, rather than seeing the inclusion of other playstyles as an exclusion of yours.

ferratus

Adventurer
We used to call those kits.

Sort of, except kits were class specific. Just as I'd assume the noble options that the DDXP fighter has is available to all classes, I'd assume that the warlord option would be available to all classes. After all, why not?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases