DDXP Begins Today! - Page 7

+ Log in or register to post
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore possum
    And so, Keep on the Borderlands enjoys its fifth iteration (including Encounters and Hackmaster).
    Last edited by possum; Thursday, 26th January, 2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: speeling...

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Dragonblade
    @TerraDave

Without knowing anything about the mechanical implementation of what it will look like, and how close it will match what I envisioned in the other thread, logically it makes sense to de-emphasize ascending bonuses. It allows you build a world where your basic orc is still relevant several levels later.

It allows you to make a game that is super compatible with all prior editions. So much so that with minimal conversion you can run Keep on the Borderlands or classic Tomb of Horrors, or you can shift gears and run through a Paizo AP, or slap on the minis rules and run the 4e Madness at Gardmore Abbey, all with 5e PCs. Thats an amazing degree of flexibility and power.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore GSHamster
    I was following some live-tweets of the seminar, and they kept referencing "three pillars" when talking about classes.

Can someone explain what these pillars are?

Quote Originally Posted by GSHamster View Post
    I was following some live-tweets of the seminar, and they kept referencing "three pillars" when talking about classes.

Combat, Exploration, and Role-Playing--the three key pillars that cover about 90% of the game experience, and that they want to really get right and make sure all classes can participate in to some extent.

(The other 10% is probably niche modules like crafting, mass combat, dominion rulership, and so forth.)

Well, damn. After following the live tweets of the seminar I'm not all that excited about D&DNext. A DM that only wants to run a basic game using only the core (like me) with players that want complex, mini-based combat just won't work and I have no interest in such a game. Sucks, I was hoping for something different. Oh well.
    jason.richardson

I think it was "roleplay", "combat", and "explore". Lots of good insight in those tweets / stream, but nothing too concrete. I'm really interested in seeing this modular approach in action.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore SeRiAlExPeRiMeNtS
    Quote Originally Posted by GSHamster View Post

Exploration, roleplay and combat.
    Why do I fight and why do I feel that
    I carry a sword, that I carry a sword?

- VNV Nation, Joy

Well, I would but Wayne is not my Forte.

Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
    Well, damn. After following the live tweets of the seminar I'm not all that excited about D&DNext. A DM that only wants to run a basic game using only the core (like me) with players that want complex, mini-based combat just won't work and I have no interest in such a game. Sucks, I was hoping for something different. Oh well.
    I'm not sure how you got that. They said nothing about mini's that I recall, and if you don't want the complex modules used in your game, don't allow them. I don't see how that's changed.
    ApathyGames.com

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Wizards of the Coast

Ignore mudbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
    I don't think the DM and the players wanting to run/play two dramatically different styles of play is a problem that can be solved by D&D. Heck, I don't think that is a problem that can be solved by *any* RPG system.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast