Seminar Transcript - Class Design: From Assassins to Wizards

BobROE

Explorer
I'm wondering what should encourage me to play 5E instead of 4E.

That's true of any edition change. If you're happy with the game you're playing now, why switch to something new? Unless you have to have the newest version of something to be happy.

As a happy pathfinder player I don't see a reason to switch.

gourdcaptain

First Post
Q: How are you addressing the linear fighter and quadratic wizard damage progression issue?

Bruce: The wizard has to choose when they deal the big damage, and that's the balancing portion. When a wizard gets fireball, he can do a lot of damage in the round, but he only has so many fireballs. The fighter doesn't have that limitation. We have a lot of math and play evidence that tells us how long average parties or play is going to last, so we feel like we've got a good grasp of how to make the fighter and wizard relevant throughout the day.

...Uh, Linear Warrior Quadratic Wizards ISN'T ABOUT DAMAGE. Evocation doesn't even do that much overall damage in 3.Xe. The problem is more when the Wizard has stuff like Dominate Person available, which one hit of which on the Fighter and he has a new minion to add to his DPR. (And we know that kind of stuff is around with the mention of Charm Person earlier.)

Also, the mention of the Fighter being 100% DPR makes me kinda sad as someone who likes Fighters who emphasize combat manuvers. Also, does this make the Barbarian 120% damage or so? :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Looks like you missed Illusionist, but from the sound of it, we might see Psion instead or as well.

I really thought they'd go for less classes and more subclasses/builds, but it's no bid deal to me either way.

Still sounds good to me. Can't wait to try it.

I really like the lower "old school" damage expressions and softer to-hit curve.

berenmir

First Post
Classes

Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, Warlord and Wizard. Am I missing something here? Sounds like a good setup to me.

Edit: Beaten by Remathilis. Also, I'd love to see an illusionist class.

Cheers,

They mentioned the Psion too!

kitsune9

Adventurer
Interesting transcript. I'm really curious how they'll get in all the classes in the first PH and then go with all the modular add-ons for each class.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
If you go by there statement of Every PHB1 class:

Assassin
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Illusionist
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Warlord
Wizard

Damn, that's a lot of classes!

Yes, psion was also mentioned, as was wild talents.

And of course we all remember that psionics was in the original PHB.

Also, gourdcaptain

So for example, if your fighter goes up a level and would normally get some bonus damage or a bonus to hit, or something simple, then maybe instead you could choose to replace that with an option or options that allow you to do some cool moves that allow you to push people around, or protect your allies a bit more, or control the battlefield a little more.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
...Uh, Linear Warrior Quadratic Wizards ISN'T ABOUT DAMAGE. Evocation doesn't even do that much overall damage in 3.Xe. The problem is more when the Wizard has stuff like Dominate Person available, which one hit of which on the Fighter and he has a new minion to add to his DPR. (And we know that kind of stuff is around with the mention of Charm Person earlier.)

Also, the mention of the Fighter being 100% DPR makes me kinda sad as someone who likes Fighters who emphasize combat manuvers. Also, does this make the Barbarian 120% damage or so? :)

I think you missed a big chunk of what they were saying. They are using damage output as part of their balancing math, so something like Dominate Person would come at the expense of an equivalent explosive invocation.

Ditto for the fighter DPR. They said you could chose combat maneuvers in lieu of damage buffs to create a controller-type fighter over a DPR fighter.

Barbarians probably trade off some defensive or party-helping abilities for extra damage.
Most of your problems seem to be covered.

Last edited:

Remove ads