Seminar Transcript - Upcoming Products for 2012

A'koss

Explorer
Well, I'm sure they have tons of Ravenloft ideas since they had been planning to release a Ravenloft RPG. As for Dragonlance, who can say at this point. It will be tough for them to do better than the 3e books for the setting.
It does feel a little late in the edition to be delving into Dragonlance... ;)
There's no half-measures with that setting.

Starglyte

Explorer
This is was the seminar I was most looking forward to, and I am so underwhelmed. The only thing that has got me excited is the Ravenloft stuff for DDI, and it was only a very small tease. Kinda interested in the Ed Greenwood book, but that is so far out that I can't get worked up about it. All in all, this year's DDXP really hasn't done anything for me. Hopefully we can get the playtest sooner than later, because I feel very little excitement for whats left of 4E, let alone 5E.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
It does feel a little late in the edition to be delving into Dragonlance... ;)
There's no half-measures with that setting.
Yeah, I completely agree.

Maybe they'll do some online articles for the various settings that isn't behind the paywall. Articles with mainly fluff? Or a downloadable PDF that gives a broad overview of Dragonlance and a "how to" guide for 4e.

I doubt we'll see a DL campaign book. Hmm, reprints maybe?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Elminster's Forgotten Realms in Quarter 4. We basically went to Ed and said hey, why don't you take all your campaign notes, all the information you've been putting together for your FR campaign and lets compile it into a book. Show us the realms as you've developed it in your campaign setting and lets get that to everybody. It's our celebration of the Forgotten Realms and pulling back the curtain to show you what the designer of the campaign setting has done.
This is interesting. This looks like a non-version specific campaign setting book too. Are we finally getting Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms as has never been published before? I think we're in store for something wildly different than what anyone knows about the realms. This could be good.

Wormwood

Adventurer
This is interesting. This looks like a non-version specific campaign setting book too.

The Old Grey Box remains the single best campaign setting I have ever read (and I have box full of dozens of others). So rich with possibilities and tantalizing hints, perfect for an eager DM to explore.

And you can drop it into just about any game (we ran a great Fantasy Hero game using it back in the 90's).

JeffB

Legend
The Old Grey Box remains the single best campaign setting I have ever read (and I have box full of dozens of others). So rich with possibilities and tantalizing hints, perfect for an eager DM to explore.

And you can drop it into just about any game (we ran a great Fantasy Hero game using it back in the 90's).

I agree the OGB is by far the best FR presentation yet, and Im a big fan, but keep in mind half ofthe OGB was Jeff Grubb. This new book likely will be very different than the OGB, if it stays true to what Mearls said.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Hmm, kinda disappointed the Undermountain adventure is only levels 1-5, the most overdone levels in 4E. And basically it sounds like largely reprinting already done encounters material for a boxed set release.

I think I will be cancelling my pre-order. Level 1-5 is just a deal killer for me with 4e, I have so much already.

fjw70

Adventurer
I want the Greenwood FR book. I have never played FR so I will be open to his version.

After the seminar a put a bug in Mearls ear about a War of the Lance boardgame like Conquet of Nerth.

Warunsun

First Post
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
It would be cool if there was notes about Gary's own campaigns that could be compiled and released as a system-neutral sourcebook. I just don't think that WotC could do it, legally.
Well, there was Cheers, Gary. The Gygax Memorial Fund released it at GenCon 2011. This is probably the book you are looking for. Rumor is it will be reprinted and released on the Fund Website.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases